Announcing the 2014 BOB pipe of the year project!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Puff Daddy

Reaction score
Hello all. Our own Scottie Piersel has offered to do the 2014 BOB POY and we are pleased to announce the official project launch!

For more information on Scottie, please visit ladybriar.com, and there is also a podcast with an interview with Scottie on the Pipes Magazine Radio Show.

The pipes will be $150, if you want one you can contact her directly by PM here, ordering will begin now and run through roughly thanksgiving so she can have time to get everyone their pipes by Christmas. Although the admin team fully endorses Scottie and this project, this is a direct buy project with no minimums and no middleman, meaning the purchase is on an individual basis between the buyer and the pipemaker. The BOB admin team will have no part in the collection of funds and distribution of pipes, and all communication regarding payment and delivery is to be handled directly between the individual buyer and the pipemaker.

The pipe and description from the maker:

"This is the pipe.  It is my take on a little clay pipe. I am calling them the "Scottie" Clay Briar.  The shank is lined with stainless steel tube all the way to the bowl.  They are very strong and lightweight.  The chamber is .5" at the bottom and tapered to .625" (depends on the block) at the top.  Total length is somewhere around 7" depending on the block used.  I am in the process of acquiring blocks that will make the overall length 8"+.  Shank diameter at the stem is right at .30"

image13.jpg

image14.jpg

image15.jpg

Brilliant.

That is a staggeringly gorgeous pipe...........can't wait to get one!

She did tell me that there would be choices in finish (smooths, blasts, etc) also, and everyone is certainly welcome to discuss the project here and have fun with it. I'm sure she'll chime in soon, I caught here on a weekend away when I posted this announcement.

This project is different from the rest because, instead of weeks of discussion over shapes, styles, makers etc, we had a pipemaker come to us and say "Hey, how about this?"  :) 
Makes it a lot easier, and it's a very cool looking pipe.  8) 

Going to try my best to get in on this one. Great pipe at a great price. Thanks Scottie your a big cup of awesome! :cheers: 

I really like it, even if it's a straight pipe.
I've been want'en to get one of Scotties pipes for a long time now,
reckon I oughta strike while the iRons hot.  ;) 
Besides if BD's gett'en one I'm gona have'ta.

That's a inside joke!  ;) 

Cartaphilus":dgmixvi6 said:
I really like it, even if it's a straight pipe.
I've been want'en to get one of Scotties pipes for a long time now,
reckon I oughta strike while the iRons hot.  ;) 
Besides if BD's gett'en one I'm gona have'ta.

That's a inside joke!  ;) 
You won't be disappointed Ron. Straight stem or not!

:sunny: 

Cheers,

RR

Sorry for not chiming in sooner. I was out of town helping my aunt move this weekend.

I am excited for this project. I really like this little pipe a lot! Please pm me if you would like one and I will get you on the list.

I've got one of Scottie's...a jewel. Hoping this will be number two.

I love that one of our own is doing this. I love that in having it happen that way we end up with a really unique spin...the clay homage being way cool. I also applaud that we just had Scottie decide on the design. To my mind there's NO WAY we would have had such a unique shape if it had been done 'by committee'.

So all in all, totally excited here!  (Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy!) 

:cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers:

Blackhorse":e7yzvyb4 said:
I've got one of Scottie's...a jewel. Hoping this will be number two.

To my mind there's NO WAY we would have had such a unique shape if it had been done 'by committee'.

:cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers:
Sure we could have done it by committee. But the bowl would have been on the other end and probably upside-down. You know how committees work.

By the way...I am definitely in on this one. (Unless over-ruled by the rest of the committee...wifey). Just kidding. Knowing her, she will probably insist on buying it for me.

I'm most likley in on this one, but I'll be moving into my new house in about 6 weeks or so, so, who knows? We'll see how broke I am...

I'm getting in on this. Can't help myself. BTW, since it's being run as a buyer to pipemaker sale it might also be reasonable to add a version of this post to the Town Crier section also. Seems like it would be appropriate and might get some more eyes on it. Can't hurt, right?

OH wow, Scottie, she's a beaut! I think I might have to make this my first offical BoB pipe. :)

What an eye catching design! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: