Announcing the 2014 BOB pipe of the year project!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got a big ol' box if briar in the mail today! Going to start the first few pipes this week.

20140810.jpg

I don't usually go the straight pipe route but I am always going to get a BoB POY and Scottie makes darn nice pipes.

Lol, I pop in from time to time, just don't comment as much anymore. :D

Took possession of this here briar a few days ago.  Am I first?  Actually, I cheated and took one of Scottie's prototypes that she claimed was flawed, though I think it's little more than a beauty mark on the inside of the bowl.  Am I glad I sprung for it?  You betcha.  Love her sandblasts, and this one is a bit of a departure from a normal purchase, it being delicate, or rather delicate-looking.  The photo shows relative stem sizes between a group 4 Dunhill, top, a very slim, light Castello, middle, and the BoB creation.  The Castello I used for rare morning smokes.  I think this one will replace it, at least until the new wears off.  And I'll be having more morning smokes, thanks to its appeal and "feel."  I always did say you can't get too much tobacco.  Thanks for aiding and abetting, Scottie.

ladycl10.jpg
" />

Quite the attractive pipe Richard! I'll be interested to hear how it smokes. (Actually, knowing Scottie's creations I'd expect nothing less than perfection!).

Cheers,

RR

I'm really happy for your new acquisition Richard. I have one of Scottie's pipe already and love it. The really great part of this news though is that the rest of us just moved one spot up the list. Joking aside, great pic with the other pipes, really highlights what she has done. Thanks.

Brewdude":hmjl9yu1 said:
I'll be interested to hear how it smokes.
I don't know, this guy seems to like it.  Seriously, since I'm still gently breaking it in (I opted for no bowl coating) I can't give a final judgment on smoking characteristics, but it's good so far.  I had some reservations about the metal tubing that strengthens the shank, thinking there might be a condensation problem, but the problem never happened.  As a matter of fact, a post-smoke cleaner comes out amazingly dry.  Very strange.  Another thing is that I can't see a reason to ever remove the bit--you know, to clean the mortise?  There is no mortise.  And the draw is absolutely perfect, not even a hint of a whistle, yet not wide, wide open.  The feel of the pipe in hand is really unique, at least to me.  All in all, it's shaping up quite well.

(No, I'm not smoking Mixture No. 79 in it.  That's a joke, har, har.)

Edit: One day later: Oh, wow! This pipe loves LBF!

ladycl11.jpg
" />

I've been rather quiet about this project (and on the board in general these past few weeks), but I ordered the smooth Scottie on her site last week. What's not to like about a pencil-thin (thinner actually!) shank?! Don't worry, the steel insert seems very sturdy.

While it was hard to tell exactly how small this shape would be, what this pipe lacks in relative girth it definitely makes up with in personality! Came with a hand-sewn Scottie bag.

Here it is with my Old Boy & Piersel smooth billiard for comparison.

Excuse the plaid Bermuda shorts as I gave a final salute to summer last night. 8)

And the verdict? Smokes great! It definitely said "lakeland pipe" to me when I first got it, so it got some fragrant matured flake and took it with aplomb! Pretty comfy to hold, though a little small for my teeth. I'll just get a rubber bit for it, but it just feels like such a fun pipe! And of course a common symbol of our online fraternity. I recommend you guys check one out!

Cheers! :cheers:

PS Thanks Scottie! :D

Thanks for the update with pictures mejoshee. Again, a lovely Scottie pipe. Nice to see a smooth in this shape. And I move one more spot up the list! Can anyone tell I'm excited?

My beautiful 2014 BoB POTY has arrived. It's a beauty. Mine is sandblasted, unstained, and waxed. My inaugural bowl was some aged McClelland Mature Virginia #24 ribbon (a version I wish they still made). Smoked wonderfully and really brought the Drama tobacco out more than the pipes I usually smoke it in. This effect makes me wonder which blends I can smoke in this pipe to change the impact of the component tobaccos. Really exciting stuff, thanks Scottie.

I am starting four of the last six orders I have this week. Anyone else who is interested in getting their pipe by Christmas please send me a pm this week. My schedule between now and Christmas is filling up rather quickly and I want to make sure I can get to everyone before then. :D

POY coming my way in the not to distant future!   :D
This will be my second BoB POY, but my first BoB member artisan pipe. I have only one artisan pipe presently, I'm super excited to be able to get this. The pictures look beautiful, can't wait to see it in hand. Thanks Scottie!

I have no idea how I changed the type size.  :oops:

(You highlighted a specific section of your text and then hit the button for larger text. I took those commands out of your test so now it's all same same.)

BTW: I lived in Ketchikan for 8 years. Great place to live...great people! - Blackhorse (Moderator)

HooAhhhh!  Scottie just sent me a teaser on my POY.  I totally left the finishing up to her as to blast vs smooth, just giving her a little input re color preference.

Here's the photo she just sent (I used the same size she did...lol). Is this sweet, or what?

dsc00411.jpg