Another Amazing Job By Precision Pipe Repair!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dock

Reaction score
Hi Folks,
George at Precision Pipe Rejuvenation & Repair never ceases to amaze me! I sent him three rather difficult jobs and he managed to do them all without missing a beat. The first one in the pic below is an Alex Florov which I purchased as an estate. When I received it I was bummed out to discover that the rim had been badly charred and disscoloured. George refinished the entire pipe and as you can see it looks absolutely new! Some issues came up during the refinish and George reallly went the extra yard in making it look so good! The second pipe is a Tom Eltang which had a beat up stem and a cloudy finish to the rim. As you can see George matched Tom's contrast staining to a "T". The third is a circa 1949 Dunhill bulldog. The stem had been carelessly buffed and had a bit of pitting on the underside. Now it's been returned to it's former glory! If you have a pipe that needs some love do yourself a favour and send it to George!

94467_Florov-Eltang-Dunnie_122_401l.jpg

Best,
D.J.

I am curious,what does such nice work cost? :bounce: :bounce:

Winslow

Thanks for the kind words, Dock. :D

For the record (since what gets on the net Lives Forever), the Florov was not completely refinished, just the rim. Achieving a perfect color match is usually easier by refinishing the entire pipe---the same way entire panels are repainted on a car---but when the specimen is a high grade collectable, the rule is to keep impact to a minimum.

------------------

Some background info for the board:

The pipe had a significant amount of inner rim radiusing (briar loss from burning), but was otherwise in perfect condition. Topping the bowl (together with squaring the bore) is the only solution in such cases, but is extremely difficult when shaped like this:

The water got deeper when fixing the one problem revealed another. A significant sand pit:

Dock then had to choose between continuing---the pit might not go away, and could actually get larger---or "closing up the patient" at that point. He elected to continue. (The man has a pair, gents!) Dock drew to his inside straight, and the pit turned out to be isolated. When all was said and done, both the burned radius areas and the sand pit had been "bypassed," like so (the total lowering of the bowl was appx 1.5 mm):