Another Cob Modification

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob_In_MO

Smoker of Fine Aromatics
B of B Supporter
Reaction score
Well, having picked up a cheap ($4.00) corncob pipe a while back and really not liking the filler bottoms, I figured I had nothing to lose.

I removed the filler in the bottom, drilled out the hole, and installed a wood plug. Also, the wood stem that protrudes into the bowl was removed - as seen in the 2 pics below. All work was done with a Dremel and Elmer's Woodglue was used for the plug. I did remove any glue from the inside of the bowl before it dried, and i'm going to add a little filler to the bottom (maybe) to level everything out. During installation, the plug went in just a hair too far and the Elmer's held it in place immediately; almost like SuperGlue - amazing.

Please note that the pics were taken before filler was added, final sanding, and clean up. But at the same time i'm not going to get carried away with a 4 dollar pipe either.

cobmod-1.jpg

cobmod-3.jpg

Well done. I have done the exact same thing with many a cob. I typically just fill up the gap from the new floor to the draft hole with 'pipe mud', let cure, smoke a few times, and voila - works great! I get hundreds and hundreds of great smokes out of such 'modified' cobs.

this is a great modification ... i really have to get a cob pipe form myself... :)
thanks guys... regards
daniel

Nice job. I've never modified any of my cobs and have yet to have a burnout in 52 years. As fumble fingered as I am I'd probably do some sort of damage to myself.