Another English Blend

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RSteve

Reaction score
By design all my blends are latakia dominant, with latakia typically 50% of the blend and this was no exception.

PS310 Black Latakia
52%..............16 oz
Sutliff 515 RC Red Virginia
13%................4 oz
Sutliff 507s Stoved Virginia
6.6%...............2 oz
Sutliff B20 Black Cavendish
6.6%................2 oz
Sutliff TS24 Blended Turkish
6.6%................2 oz
Sutliff TS20 Louisiana Perique
6.6%................2 oz
Leaf Only Turkish Samsun
3.3%................1 oz
Leaf Only Greek Basma
3.3%................1 oz
Leaf Only Nicotiana Rustica
2.0%............... .5 oz

The room note is what you might expect. The nicotiana rustica was included to add some nicotine. Both the latakia and stoved Virginia have minimal nicotine and while I didn't want the blend to be nicotine heavy, I did want some. There was some temptation to explore including some cigar leaf, but that's for the next blend. In terms of cost per ounce, this was far less than one pays for tinned Balkan/English.

10/21/2020 edited to correct error in percentages, add quantities, adjust for formatting post transition.

Last edited:
Timbo":kq324il5 said:
That sounds delicious.  Have you tried pressing your blends at all?  Cheers
Tim
Yes, currently the blend has been "hand pressed" into a couple of large mouth jars. I recently was able to purchase a used press used to squeeze the liquid from 6 lb. tuna cans. Once I get it set up, I will press the tobacco. The new price on one of these presses is about $325 USD. I was fortunate to find a used one, locally for $26.00, 8% of new.
https://nemcofoodequip.com/catalog/easy-tuna-press

6116ZnJ7RfL._SX342_.jpg

I do want to add that I am certain that this blend will mellow with age. I smoked a few bowls and was, frankly, surprised when the excessive amount of humectants in the both Virginias and the Black Cavendish caused some unexpected heat. I've used all the component tobaccos previously, but this was the first time they arrived so sticky wet.

I used the press yesterday and wasn't as observant as I should have been. I gave it one crank too many and ruined the can in which I was attempting to compress the tobacco.