Another Greenie - this one for BD

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackhorse

Trading Post Moderator
Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
To make a long and only moderately interesting story a lot more palatable - this one was from a cheap kit block and stem that I offered to buy from a bro, but he gifted it to me instead with the charge that for him it was a pay it forward and I should to the same, so I agreed.

My first green pipe, shown somewhere here a bit ago was an apparent hit.  Something new and different I guess.  Anyway, BD made the comment for all to see that his favorite color was green (so is mine) and that he had always wanted a green pipe but it had never worked out.  So MY pay it forward is that this one is for him...Brewdude, if you're gonna mooch then ya gotta step up and take yer medicine like a man. lol  

This one is yours.  It sure ain't perfect...but is sure is GREEN! Happy Labor Day, Bro!

DSCN2294_zpsa12bfc1f.jpg

DSCN2285_zps4db531e5.jpg

DSCN2291_zpsd110dd9a.jpg

Eh, you're gifting this to me BH???

:shock: 

Seriously?

:eek: 

If you are, then I'm at a loss for words.........

:| 

But seriously that's above and beyond, and your generosity shows no boundaries. I'm very touched.

:drunken: 

And that's a way nice looking pipe. I'll be proud to own and smoke it.

Mere thanks seems totally inadequate but right now it's all I got!

:king: 

Cheers,

RR

woweezowie........

I know...why not PM me your address, that would help the process a bit. :D 

And let's don't be doing the humble dance here. It's not like you're a stranger. I go back further with you than anyone else on this site, so I know the kinds of things you've done for other guys here and elsewhere. If I took an open poll and asked members to send me the name of someone who was deserving of getting hit with something good I know your name would be in there. So there's that. 

In the words of Sam Spade, while gleefully bitchslapping Joel Cairo, "When you're slapped you'll take it and you'll like it." :twisted:

BH your are totally correct. It's green, very green. Very Very green. There is a problem with it though...It's not mine. :(  Brew this will put a head on your beer. Enjoy my friend. Nice job BH. :) 

AJ

Blackhorse":zhcoa0jw said:
I know...why not PM me your address, that would help the process a bit. :D 

And let's don't be doing the humble dance here. It's not like you're a stranger. I go back further with you than anyone else on this site, so I know the kinds of things you've done for other guys here and elsewhere. If I took an open poll and asked members to send me the name of someone who was deserving of getting hit with something good I know your name would be in there. So there's that. 

In the words of Sam Spade, while gleefully bitchslapping Joel Cairo, "When you're slapped you'll take it and you'll like it." :twisted:
Aw gee whiz. I haven't done so much really. Just do what I can when I can. Same as any of us would if they had the means and opportunity.

;) 

But back to the topic, that pipe will have pride of place. Including and especially since you crafted it.

:sunny: 

Cheers,

RR

You know what I think is cool? When guys that REALLY know what they're doing drop by and say how great something is. Very kind. Not foolin' anybody, but very kind. If this thing was any other color than Erin Green it wouldn't be much at all. But then, ya just never know. I've got treasured basket pipes that with the right blend will outsmoke any Dunhill I've ever owned. I can't say that about Radice or the few Tinsky's I'm lucky enough to have. But I'm hoping this one turns out to be a winner in the field. 

Speaking of Tinsky pipes...my first one was a kit that Mark made to my specs. I planned on doing one thing but ended up in a totally different place. But planning it as a smoker of strong Brit Bad Boy weed paid off cause nothing I've ever used does better with Hogwarts Dark Plug. Quality in the mechanics really does pay off. Maybe that's why the oil Cured twin bore Radice is such a phenom. 

Sidebar: Finally got some alcohol for my 40 year old lab burner. I read somewhere that they were good for heating stems for bending. Wow! It was perfect. Took about two minutes to heat and then I laid it over a glass jar of the proper diameter for the actual bend and SHEZAM she was done. Nice. Really nice. 

And - If you've ever bent a vulcanite stem and then cooled it in water, producing a lovely even brown oxidized finish that took two hours too rub off...air cooling is the thing.

Just realized I never posted a follow-up to this kind gesture. Very bad form on my part.

The pipe is exactly like the pics show. Real nice shade of med-dark green, with plenty of black highlights on the grain. It feels silky smooth in the hand. Feels like BH did a lot of buffing on it.

The draw is generous and open. That, plus the ample chamber and thick walls should make it an ideal flake pipe. I also like the stem design. Much fancier than any of my other pipes, but the style fits with the bowl.

I have yet to break this in. When I do it will be with a flake I respect, like BBF or FVF.

Cheers,

RR

You want to know what the hardest part was?

OK. Since I essentially have no power shop tools except for a belt sander (no drill press, no lathe, no band saw, etc.) doing anything that needs to be really 'regular' is...shall we say, not easy. So, the incised rings on the pipe were a total bitch to do... but they needed to be there.

Congrats to both of you guys. BH, I can imagine the difficulty in carving those rings on the bowl and shank without a lathe. Holy moley, that's some exquisite handwork. :D 

Damn fine looking pipe!  I've found that almost all "gifted" pipes are great smokers...comes with great karma, I guess.  Either way...enjoy the hell out of it!