Another Missouri Meerschaum Churchwarden

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob_In_MO

Smoker of Fine Aromatics
B of B Supporter
Reaction score
Like others, I took the MM MacArthur and cut the bowl down to match that of the MM General and put a wood plug in the bottom. Sorry no 'before' pics, but most of you know what they look like anyway.

Actually made it quite a functional (and more proportionate) pipe, and I like Churchwardens anyway...

I cut exactly 1" off of the top, and about 3/8" off the bottom. Since the stem doesn't protrude into the bowl very much at all (now), this was more than enough to give it a solid bottom that shouldn't burn through.

(If this needs to be in the 'DIY' section, please move it there Mods)...

dsc00013.jpg

dsc00011.jpg

dsc00012.jpg

Nicely done Rob. I've always seen the MacArthur as a novelty pipe, but your surgery has transformed it into a pipe that I'd consider smoking now.

Looking good. I bought a MacArthur about a month ago that I still haven't smoked, and this post made me realize I would be making a churchwarden (which I've wanted for a while) out of it, so I might as well do it.

Cool looking churchwarden... goes great with your Jed avatar! I would love to make one for myself, but I am totally lacking in the skills to do it. For me, I might just as well buy a MacArthur and throw it in the trash when it arrives, because after my modification that is where it would end up.

Anyway, that is a really nice looking pipe. Good work!

Simple Man":dd47m3jr said:
For me, I might just as well buy a MacArthur and throw it in the trash when it arrives, because after my modification that is where it would end up.

When you get one, send it to me and i'll ship it back to you converted and ready to smoke. No charge for the conversion, and I don't mind doing it. It does smoke pretty well, though I don't use it often.

Rob_In_MO":d6ystkw7 said:
Simple Man":d6ystkw7 said:
For me, I might just as well buy a MacArthur and throw it in the trash when it arrives, because after my modification that is where it would end up.

When you get one, send it to me and i'll ship it back to you converted and ready to smoke. No charge for the conversion, and I don't mind doing it. It does smoke pretty well, though I don't use it often.
Wow! Thank you. I will take you up on your offer. I just bought a LOT of pipes so I'll have to wait a few weeks, but I'm definitely wanting to do that. Thanks again.

Jack

I like it. Should be a nice loooong, cool smoke. I'm going to give it a try.

danindayton
ilurkalot

You made a good job on that corncob. Nice churchwarden now. Well done.

this topic reminded me to ask: which piipe repair shop manufactures those nice " permanent" lucite stems for missouri meerschaum pipes..including a churchwarden model??? thanks, jr/john

I just got a churchwarden "forever stem" from walker briar for my cobs. I love it but it does have a tendency to... I think the phrase is gargle, ( or at least do what I think people refer to as gargle.).

I finally got a picture of my forever stem from Walker Briar Works. It currently rests with my Great Dane spool.

IMG_1587.jpg

That's really awesome. I'd love to turn a few cobs into 'wardens with those stems. 8)

Those long stems make a great conversion for the corn cobs. Wish I coujld get those stems here in blighty.

Would love to be able to modify a cob like than and then add a long churchwarden stem to the already long wooden one!

Rob's quite the handyman with his cobs. I hear he's building a Huck Finn type raft out of all the bits he's sawed off it his quest for the perfect cob.

I have discovered on ebay where I can get the long sems and have made a churchwarden from mulberry wood and have another stem to make my next churchwarden.

AlanJohn":lpfbwfz0 said:
I have discovered on ebay where I can get the long sems and have made a churchwarden from mulberry wood and have another stem to make my next churchwarden.
Im very interested to see what you are going to make. I am obsessed with churchwarden pipes