Another modified Cob

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikem

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
Was playing around with another of the cobs that I purchased. I think I will leave the stem/bit straight this time. I still need to polish and do some cleaning up of the stem.
20210122_170629.jpg

You know what you are doing! Any tricks to keep the bamboo from splitting or cracking? I've had to wrap bamboo stems. Maybe the single digit relative humidity here is a problem. Would you recommend a sealer or other treatment?

I agree that is the biggest problem with bamboo. The few I've modified I have usually put some type of metal band around the bamboo at the tenon where the stem goes into the bamboo. I will probably do that with this pipe. I need to measure the diameter and convert it to mm so I can order. I will try to take some pictures of others I have done to show you some examples.

There are quite a few species of bamboo out there. As well as sub-species. We have three different varieties of Fargesia alone. I imagine that some are more prone to splitting than others. I’m certainly not any kind of expert but it might be possible to find and procure “non-splitting” stems, or whatever.

I've been putting a metal band at the of the bamboo due to the splitting. The bamboo that I've used I purchased from Pipe Makers Emporium many years ago when the shop was in Phoenix. This is some of the cobs that I have modified. The pipe with the yellow stem has a deer antler shank. The bands on the two upper pipes were purchased from a company that sells pen making supplies (which the name eludes me right now). I made a matching pipe tamper for the upper cob.
20210127_171536.jpg

Mike
do you buy the rings engraved or do you do it yourself. Nice work

Was playing around with another of the cobs that I purchased. I think I will leave the stem/bit straight this time. I still need to polish and do some cleaning up of the stem.View attachment 580
I don't know where you got the stem but, awhile back ago (several yrs) I had to beg barrow and steal almost to get one.
These were used by a well known freehand pipe maker and I'm ashamed I don't remember his name right now but, his pipes were sought after.
Sadly he committed suicide a few years ago. But, in restoring his pipes these stems were sought after and weren't cheap.
I don't know if someone is remaking them now or not, maybe. I do remember he used Knight, King, Queen to grade his pipes, maybe someone will remember
his name.

All of the stems I have were purchased from Pipe Makers Emporium when Paul Hildebrand owned the store in Phoenix. He would sell them by the dozen. He had large storage racks full of boxes of stems. He had everything when it came to pipe making: components, tooling, briar, polishing materials and stains. I would venture to say the shop/warehouse was a 1000+ square feet of space.

All of the stems I have were purchased from Pipe Makers Emporium when Paul Hildebrand owned the store in Phoenix. He would sell them by the dozen. He had large storage racks full of boxes of stems. He had everything when it came to pipe making: components, tooling, briar, polishing materials and stains. I would venture to say the shop/warehouse was a 1000+ square feet of space.
Yes sir, use to get my supplies there when Carol I think ran it. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, I'm bad with names.VF bought them
when they closed shop there.

Hey, Mikem!! Quick question...I have a large cob that is starting to show some shank splits where the bit enters the shank. I'm not sure I want to tackle a metal band as the shank is somewhat tapered. What glue do you use on your cobs? Glue gun or just squeezed out of a tube??!! Thank you in advance, FTRPLT!!

The best luck I have had is with Titebond Premium interior/exterior yellow wood glue. It seems to take the heat well and spreads the easiest with no gaps. I tried using the Gorilla glue epoxies that you add water with mixed results. If I'm not mistaken Missouri Meerschaum uses Elmers white glue. The Titebond I have used both gluing the shank to the bowl and putting on the metal bands. I also repaired a bamboo shank that split where the bit goes in using Titebond with good results. Your mileage may vary. Hope this helps.

Mikem...Thanks, buddy!!! I'll look for the Titebond; sounds like what I need. Although I laughed at MM using good ol' Elmers white glue!!! That's always been my backup adhesive!! FTRPLT