Another need of suggestions

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oddball

Reaction score
I leave middle of next week for Vernal, UT for 40+ days and am gonna have to stock up on some tobak. I don't have time to mail order so I’m posting what my local B&M has and hope for suggestions.
I’m open to anything though I’m currently working my way around burleys. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Ashton
Davidoff
Dunhill
Edgeworth
Erinmore
Flying Dutchman
Gawith
Granger
Kentucky Club
Larsen
Mac Baren
McClelland
Mixture 79
Orlik
Peterson
Rattrays
Sasieni
Schermerhorn
Sherman
Sir Walter Raleigh
Stokkebye
Three Star
Blue

Dunhill-Early morning and 965

Edgeworth-Ready Rubbed

Prince Albert

Carter Hall

Peterson-Irish flake and university flake

Sir Walter Raleigh

Three Star Blue

These are the ones I know to be good tobaccos

Since you did not elaborate on which blends are available from the big name brands (Dunhill,McBaren, McClelland, etc.), it's impossible to give your suggestions within those brands.

Edgeworth Ready Rubbed is a decent, consistant Burley blend.
Granger is a very good, straight forward Burley Blend!
Three Star Blue is a Va/Burley Blend, very mild, but tasty.

You didn't mention the following and I am surprised that they don't have them, but your local Walgreens, CVS or Wally-Mart should, and they are wonderful Burley Blends, and two of my favorites:

Carter Hall & Walnut

Johnny

Sorry about the lack of clarity.
The local B&M is more geared toward cigars than pipe but not to the point of desperation on my part. The list is straight off their web site and much I what I have seen on the shelves is foreign to me based on what I have read here(BoB).
As for Walnut it seems that Colorado based companies do not feel the need to stock it. Carter Hall can only be found in the pouch.
Most of my pipe smoking started with Captain Black and I am trying to move into better blends (I enjoy Carter Hall quite a bit so I have no issue with good drug store blends.) and learn to smoke slower, im currently the king of tongue bite. :affraid: :affraid:
I’m a big fan of Three Star though it seems to leave a serious ghost behind.
Hope this helps to give more direction, rather than to complicate.
I don’t know what I want so it’s hard to ask :| but that also means I will take any suggestions.

Greetings Oddball,

have a safe and fun trip. Not sure what your tobacco preferences are or what is available. I'll just throw out a few blends I enjoy.

If they have these, I like the following:

Davidoff's Flake Medallions
Gawith - is this Samuel Gawith or Gawith & Hogarth?

If Sam - Full Virginia Flake, Best brown, Squadron Leader, Turkish Mixture, Sam's Flake, Chocolate Flake

If G&H - Conniston Cut Plug, Rum Flake

MacBaren's HH Syrian and HH Matured Virginia

Rattray's Hal of the Wynd, Marlin Flake, Old Gowrie, Red Rapparee

Sherman's No. 536

Let us know what you took and what your opinions were. Again, safe passage!

TC

Gawith

Squadron Leader and Commonwealth (latakia)
Full VA Flake

MacBaren

Latakia Blend (very light Latakia)
Navy Flake (significant burley)

Balkan Saseini (overlooked, I think. When I smoked Lat in days gone by it was one of my favorites)

McClelland

Blackwoods Flake
St. James Flake

Hope this helps!

In addition to the very fine recommendations here, may I add:

Orliks Golden Sliced (the prince of Va's. Rattray's Old Gowrie being the King)
Stokkebey Luxury English: well rounded English blend
Stokkeby Navy Flake: A mild Vaper flake
Macbaren's Va#1: Another mild Va.

Thanx for the suggestings guys. I should be in Utah as I type but the drill rig broke down and my departure has been delayed tell middle of this week. This means I can get some more tobak :D .

I would say that if you purchase a 14 oz. can of ERR'd and a 12 oz. can of Sir Walter Raleigh, you won't need anything else.

There are some other great choices in your list as well.

Justpipes, ERRd is hard to find around here and when you do its about 40 bucks. Sir Walter on the other hand is nice and cheap. Im gonna shop around for ERRd online and go that rout. Im gonna be traveling and out of contract for quite a while so I will need to get a system worked out.