Another new guy from DFW

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

my19

Reaction score
I was on a hunting trip a couple of months ago up in the Texas Panhandle when my brother-in-law pulled out a pipe as we tucked in around the evening campfire and proceeded to light up. I hadn't been around pipes much in several decades -- both of my grandfathers smoked 'em, though -- and the first whiff of tobacco smoke carried me back.

Intrigued, I started poking around on the internet and found an amazing new world out there. Now, I'm a guy who likes a certain ritual to the things I do. A few years back I retired the electric razor for an old double-edge Gillette, along with shaving soaps and creams and after shaves my dad and grandfathers enjoyed. So smoking a pipe was a natural fit for me.

I'm just starting out, literally, and trying to soak up the incredible amount of information out there on tobacco types and blends, on cobs and briars and other pipe materials and shapes and makers, even things as simple as lighters (and matches) and the differences they can make.

I have to say I've been impressed with the breadth of knowledge I've found here and the civilty and good humor, traits in short supply on some other forums.

So thanks for your patience when I ask the inevitable stupid questions (though I promise I will use the search function regularly), and for the community you've built here.

best,
Mike

Welcome from Louisiana! I had a similar transition. Several years ago I put my electric razor on the shelf and starting using a blade and shaving soap and brush.

I started smoking a pipe a couple of years later because it reminded me of my dad. Additionally, I switched from a drip coffee maker to a percolator. The sounds of the percolator and the first few whiffs of pipe tobacco can immediately take me back to my dad and his friends having coffee around our breakfast table.

Thank you, thank you. Great to be here. And so much to learn.

And after the last few days, I realize how intrepid you need to be to smoke a pipe. Finding a MM pipe was no trouble. But tracking down a pounch of drugstore tobacco is tougher than I ever imagined. A CVS had 8 ounces of something with a very heavy scent, and wanted about as much for it as the online vendors get for top grade stuff. As for Prince Albert, Carver Hall and the Capt. Black line, those can be hard to find. Cigarettes, cigars, no problem. But pipe tobacco seems almost endangered in the mass marketplace.

Mike-
Good to have another soul from DFW. I also had a hard time finding tin tobacco to try. There's a place on Main St in Grapevine that carries a few selections but I do mostly mail order. I also get to Abilene a few tImes per month and visit Bill at The Leaf. If you run across any other places give me a shout. I'll do the same.

Spent a lot of time up in the panhandle (Amarillo, Canyon, Pampa, Canadian, Borger) and love it up there. Great pheasant hunting. Take care.

Welcome to the long long journey of pipe smoking from a fellow Texan piper! Enjoy your stay.

WaydeG":us9llola said:
Mike-
Good to have another soul from DFW. I also had a hard time finding tin tobacco to try. There's a place on Main St in Grapevine that carries a few selections but I do mostly mail order. I also get to Abilene a few tImes per month and visit Bill at The Leaf. If you run across any other places give me a shout. I'll do the same.

Spent a lot of time up in the panhandle (Amarillo, Canyon, Pampa, Canadian, Borger) and love it up there. Great pheasant hunting. Take care.
My bro-in-law has a lease on an old farm outside Vernon, so a little shy of Panhandle proper but close. This was post-deer season -- we were looking for hogs and coyote -- but we were staked out at the edge of an open area and three does wandered in, each one bigger than a good-size Hill Country buck. Impressive.

Thanks for the Grapevine tip. The only tobacco I've found easily available is the 8 ounce bag at CVS, and they wanted as much as I paid for 8 ounces of Penzance online.

Welcome to BoB! There are a few newbies around(myself included) & there's no such thing as a stupid question. Everyone here has been very kind & helpful. :study:

Howdy, and Welcome! There's a couple of decent tobacconists here in Arlington, The place I go, "Tobacco Road" has a somewhat small selection, but their prices are fair, and they do carry some nice pipes..

Ataki":bos6ehye said:
Howdy, and Welcome! There's a couple of decent tobacconists here in Arlington, The place I go, "Tobacco Road" has a somewhat small selection, but their prices are fair, and they do carry some nice pipes..
Hey, thanks for the tip! I get out to Arlington semi-regularly and will make a stop at Tobacco Road to see what they have in stock. I appreciate the guidance ...

best
Mike