Another new pipe ...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hollywood

Reaction score
I just put the finishing touches on my new pipe tonight. I'm excited about this one. It's my 1st time using this new rustication method. I tried it out on some scrap, but my nerves were kicking in high gear when I hit it on the real deal. I think it turned out great! Let me know what you think.

The Deutscher:

Height: 2.25
Length: 6.00
Width: 1.80
Chamber Diameter: 1.00
Chamber Depth: 1.35
Weight: 62g
Grade:
palm21.jpg
palm21.jpg

Hand cut Ebonite stem. Rose acrylic extension. Dark finish on this deep rustication. note: the little ridge in the bottom of the shank is where i put my initials and grade stamp.

thedeutscherda7.jpg

sharp looking pipe, dave.

can you tell us a little bit more on how you grade your pipes?

frankluke":f02780y1 said:
sharp looking pipe, dave.

can you tell us a little bit more on how you grade your pipes?
Thanks, Nick.

I can. As I am just getting started; I probably will grade too harsh to make sure my pipes are the bargain I want them to be and of the highest quality I can muster. Might not see many higher than 2 Star or 2 Palm for a while; but you never know.

I will be grading on a scale that looks something like this:

palm21.jpg
- Rusticated pipes of simpler design with no major embellishments. May have minor flaws.

palm21.jpg
palm21.jpg
- Rusticated or Sandblasted pipes with greater designs. Very solid grain patterns. May have a minor flaw.

palm21.jpg
palm21.jpg
palm21.jpg
- Flawless rustication or Blast. Exceptional design and detail. Stem upgrades likely as well as extensions or caps.

staricon2lu.png
- Smooth with good grain but may not be of uniform patter or may have minor flaws.

staricon2lu.png
staricon2lu.png
- Smooth pipes with better graining and design. could have stem treatments or stem upgrades. May have minor flaws that kept it from being graded higher.

staricon2lu.png
staricon2lu.png
staricon2lu.png
- Smooth pipes with no visible flaws in fit, finish or briar. Will have solid grain patterns all around. Exceptional design and feel.

staricon2lu.png
staricon2lu.png
staricon2lu.png
staricon2lu.png
- Flawless smooth with near perfect graining patterns. A clear stand out above the rest. Rarest and most difficult to achieve.

Very Very nice Hollywood!

I like the soft appearance of that rustication.

Another nice one! The rustication on that one reminds me of Sam Learned's style of chip rustication followed by a light sand blasting.

Like puros, I'm waiting for a smaller chambered one before I start begging. Do we need to start a collection to buy you a 3/4 inch bit?

Jim

Ol'Dawg":9ept1kg0 said:
Another nice one! The rustication on that one reminds me of Sam Learned's style of chip rustication followed by a light sand blasting.

Like puros, I'm waiting for a smaller chambered one before I start begging. Do we need to start a collection to buy you a 3/4 inch bit?

Jim

YES! ;)

I will be making most now with .750 chambers. I am going to reserve the 1.00 for the really big pipes.