Another on from Afghanistan...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thai'd Up

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I've been lurking on this forum for a little while and thought I would join today and try to contribute a little.

First, I'm a civilian who lives on a small FOB in Jalalabad, Afghanistan. I've only been here a short while but spent two years living on an even smaller FOB in Iraq prior to coming here. I had been working in Northeastern Montana for the last ten or twelve years, so I guess that is home now.

I just started smoking a pipe about a month ago. I really enjoyed the social aspects of everyone getting together in the evenings and smoking cigars but found I really don't enjoy cigars. I decided to give the pipe a try and absolutely love it. I guess the odd part is I started because of the social aspect and now enjoy being alone with my thoughts more.

I've pretty much been a non-smoker my whole life with the exception of a few cigars, so my palate is far from refined and I am still searching to see what I really like.

I started with a MM country gentleman and will be ordering another country gentleman and a legend soon (I already converted someone and gave my backup country gentleman away!!) and I just ordered a new pipe from Boswell's yesterday.

As far as tobaccos go, I started with some PA and 1Q and enjoyed both, probably liking the PA a little more. I gave all of the remaining 1Q to my friend and received an order of Escudo, Christmas Cheer, Orlik Golden Sliced and Holiday Cheer. I really enjoyed the taste of the Escudo but the nicotine hit me hard (hence the need for a smaller pipe). I will probably try the Orlik tonight, and I also really enjoyed the aromatic Holiday cheer. I ordered a couple of aromatics from Boswell's with my pipe order and should have a good wide variety of Virginia's and Aromatics...but I'm not quite sure if I am ready to try the English blends yet, as I definately prefer lower nicotine blends right now.

I'm a member of another board, but found myself reading more here because of the wider variety of topics, both have great people, but it would be nice to be a member of a community that does not only talk about pipes.

Thanks for the great board!!!!!!!!!!

Welcome!

I am a little way south of you....waiting for the cold weather and my pipe and tobaccos to arrive. Can't complain too much though, mail usually gets out here pretty quick. Are you able to find tobacco in country or do you order online? Take it easy and stay safe up there....Eric

NewSmoke":276h4ur4 said:
Welcome!

I am a little way south of you....waiting for the cold weather and my pipe and tobaccos to arrive. Can't complain too much though, mail usually gets out here pretty quick. Are you able to find tobacco in country or do you order online? Take it easy and stay safe up there....Eric
I order online. Smokingpipes.com has free shipping to APO addresses which is a good plus. My first order was from Marscigars.com and they had a reasonable flat rate shipping and good prices on the MM cob pipes.

I'm waiting for the cooler weather also, I was just outside smoking and it was pretty miserable. I only left Iraq a couple of months ago and unfortunately I've climatized and I think it is hot here now. I was laughing at people who were saying it was hot at 105, but I feel it now.....

I do believe that one of the guys stay in my b-hut found a pipe and tobacco here in a shop while he was on patrol. I saw the pipe, and I'm going to have to donate an MM to him because his pipe looks really cheap, and I think it has a metal lining to it. He is on vacation now, so I will talk to him more about it when he comes back.

Stay safe!!!

Welcome to the boards! I hope you enjoy your time here, and agree with your choice from the MM line!

"T"

Welcome to Bob and stay safe over there...I've recently learned the beauty of a cob too...I like the Country Gentleman, good choice!

Thai'd up wrote:

Thai'd Up":82wyn070 said:
Hi everyone, I've been lurking on this forum for a little while and thought I would join today and try to contribute a little.

I started with a MM country gentleman and will be ordering another country gentleman and a legend soon (I already converted someone and gave my backup country gentleman away!!) and I just ordered a new pipe from Boswell's yesterday.

As far as tobaccos go, I started with some PA and 1Q and enjoyed both, probably liking the PA a little more. I gave all of the remaining 1Q to my friend and received an order of Escudo, Christmas Cheer, Orlik Golden Sliced and Holiday Cheer. I really enjoyed the taste of the Escudo but the nicotine hit me hard (hence the need for a smaller pipe). I will probably try the Orlik tonight, and I also really enjoyed the aromatic Holiday cheer. I ordered a couple of aromatics from Boswell's with my pipe order and should have a good wide variety of Virginia's and Aromatics...but I'm not quite sure if I am ready to try the English blends yet, as I definately prefer lower nicotine blends right now.

Thanks for the great board!!!!!!!!!!
You'd be surprised: a strong or spicy taste doesn't always mean a high nicotine level. I get much more punch from some Virginias than i do from many English blends. But it's always fun to find out.

Thi'd said.......but I'm not quite sure if I am ready to try the English blends yet, as I definately prefer lower nicotine blends right now.

Check out the reviews of English blends. Not all are high in nicotine hit. Early Morning Pipe (EMP) being my favorite.

Welcome to BOB

Welcome, glad you decided to join us, I noticed that you said you bought a Boswell Yesterday, I did also...what pipe did you end up purchasing? I picked up #11.

Hope to chat with you soon bud.

Thanks for the welcome everyone...and the advice on the English blends!!!

Pipe Leisure, I picked up number 15. Assuming I like this pipe, I will probably pick up a poker next.

Thai'd Up":mdfmx4t3 said:

Pipe Leisure, I picked up number 15. Assuming I like this pipe, I will probably pick up a poker next.
Very nice pipe bud, make sure you post pics under my "Lets Talk Boswell" thread in the (Photo Gallary)

PipeLeisure":dw4sl4vf said:
Thai'd Up":dw4sl4vf said:

Very nice pipe bud, make sure you post pics under my "Lets Talk Boswell" thread in the (Photo Gallary)
I will add the photo as soon as it is received!!