Another one gone: Tobacco Corner Memphis TN

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveMKentucky

Reaction score
I almost didn't post this as it seems a bit depressing to see the old, classic Brick and Mortar tobacco shops close. However, I think it's worth commemorating these places nonetheless.

Some years ago I joined the Navy and was stationed in Memphis Tennessee for my initial schools. As a new pipe smoker I visited the Tobacco Corner frequently, buying tobacco, pipes and magazines.

In another thread I posted that I bought my (then) favorite blend called "Your Father's Blend" which turned out to be Lane 1Q. I bought this blend regularly from Elliot and bought many a men's adventure and 'true crime' magazine from him.

I did a quick Internet search to see if the tobacco corner is still around and found that it shut down in January of 2018. The well-respected proprietor Elliot apparently passed away the year before.

https://www.memphisdailynews.com/news/2018/feb/6/tobacco-corner-closing-last-location/

Here's the shop before it closed:

2s0y007.png

Across the street from the Halfshell Seafood restaurant. Remember it well as I/we stayed on Poplar many times when visiting Memphis. Another sign of the times!! :( FTRPLT

This is sad news and makes me appreciate having a local shop that is thriving even more. The only thing more enjoyable than smoking my pipes is having a place to go and sit and chop it up with other pipe smokers.

And so it goes, and will continue to do so. Legislation and online retailers; a potent combination.

Sad news, friend, especially when you have such fond memories.

No pip pip.

I made the comment strictly because Its getting bad at some point it's going to get to the point where if you're not growing it you're not going to be able to get it it may not happen this year or 10 years from now but there will come a day online sales are already in jeopardy brick and mortars are shutting down left and right it's just sad

arkansaspiper":50cp0b6y said:
I made the comment strictly because Its getting bad at some point it's going to get to the point where if you're not growing it you're not going to be able to get it it may not happen this year or 10 years from now but there will come a day online sales are already in jeopardy brick and mortars are shutting down left and right it's just sad
I am not so sure about that though. My town of Fort Wayne only had 1 Brick and Mortar shop, that was on the other side of the city. Just a year ago, we opened a new place and it is doing well. Got my pipe and my tin of Nuns as well as the two premium Cigars from their massive humidor.

Though I think it is the Vape and CBD aspect that draws the most. As they are one of the biggest vape shops around. Oh and they stock a lot of glass pipes and bongs for the pot smokers.. But I am not into that.

I looked into growing, but that is even more intimidating then the arguing with my wife.

It's sad to see so many tobacco shops close their doors. We had 3 in Topeka some years ago and now just one, fortunately, the one I used to work for. Were I live now, I have to drive about a half hour to find a place to buy my tobacco. It isn't a tobacco shop, but a discount smokes and liquor store. It's not very good. They do have an assortment of packaged tobaccos, Borkum Riff, Carter Hall, etc. They also have a "cigar humidor" which is merely a plywood closet with a humidifier in it. And, their prices are anything but discount. Who wants to pay $12.00 for an $8.00 cigar? Not me. Their liquor prices aren't too bad, but, I can buy my liquor at Walmart for less.