Another review: Newminster 400 and Sutliffe slices

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thedeep

Reaction score
I should note this is my second order of both. I've done three orders this year. Sutliffe was on the 1st and 3rd, while Newminster was on the 2nd and 3rd. It appears a $100 order lasts me about 6 months. That's 9 or 10 tobaccos on each order. Onward.
Newminster 400 Superior Navy Flake: I really like this stuff. Comes in very nice, neat, whole slices. It's medium brown with some nice lighter pieces to it. Has that "grassy" Virginia aroma in the bag. It's earthy with maybe a bit of chocolate. Flakes fold nicely. Took 3 matches to get it going good. Moisture was about right. No bite and a slightly sweet taste...all Virginia. Smoked down to the bottom of the bowl with, I think, two relights, one of which was my fault. I really like this one. Another good point----$2.75 per ounce. I can smoke more of it than some of the more expensive blends.
Sutliffe Virginia Slices: This is, almost, a broken flake. Maybe it had some rough handling along the way, but the flakes do not hold together very well. It's just slightly drier than I would like, but not problematically so. Lit easily, three matches. Burnt pretty nicely to the end. Not quite as sweet as the Newminster. The taste is not quite as "Virginia" as Newminster. There is a slight undernote that is just different. The pics on Tobacco Reviews are a brighter tobacco than what I have.
Anyhow, two tobaccos that will get time in my rotation. Next order I will get enough of each to jar up.
I should mention that I am a fold and stuffer. Did so with both tobaccos.

I like the 400 as well. Great for long drives in a deep bowl and sweet with a cautious cadence, tried it as a sample and got a pound. Thinking it might age well

Thanks for the review. I really like the 403 and will have to get some 400 to try in my next order.