Another Sav Punto Oro

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpeedyPete

Reaction score
http://www.ebay.com/itm/380701424278?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_1545wt_1360

I've bought this pipe with a damaged stem for a fair price.  I've only noticed the hole in the stem after I've placed my bid. I've hoped someone will outbid me but............the pipe is mine and I will have to live with it.

My question to the brothers:  How do I go about to fill the hole?

I'm pretty sure someone will come up with a solution :D

Edit: I don't like the size of the bowl. I'm going to shave off some of the rim which will at the same time take care of the darkening. Real pity about the stem.

That stem is an easy fix.  See a recent post on my Charatan 109 restoration.  I use the Stew-Mac black superglue for those kind of repairs (also did Fr. Tom's pipe repair that way).  

$(KGrHqF,!lEFI!Mrze9DBSEmikHLsg~~60_12.JPG

I have plenty of the black super glue - shoot me the stem and a few bucks to mail it back to you and I'll do the repair for you.  

You probably know this already but the pipe you bought also known as the Corallo is an extremely expensive and top of the line pipe from Savinelli. The unfinished rusticated bowl colors beautifully with age and they are very lightweight. You bought a Gem of a pipe at the right price. Even if you have a replacement stem made you scored well with that bid.

Looks like someone already stuck an old replacement stem on it anyhow. That's a Dunhill stem, ot at least a Dunhill replacement, unless Savinelli put white spots on their stems at some point. If you can get Riff to fill the hole for you then you have nothing to lose, it will probably smoke just fine, and you can always get a new replacement stem fitted for it on the cheap if it bugs you.

Puff Daddy":u8n81fbb said:
Looks like someone already stuck an old replacement stem on it anyhow. That's a Dunhill stem, ot at least a Dunhill replacement, unless Savinelli put white spots on their stems at some point. If you can get Riff to fill the hole for you then you have nothing to lose, it will probably smoke just fine,  and you can always get a new replacement stem fitted for it on the cheap if it bugs you.
The Punto Oro series had a single brass dot which many folks at first glance confuse for the Dunhill "White Dot" Anyway, at the price you paid it would be worth getting it either fixed as mentioned or replaced with a new one. Punto Oro's are PHENOMINAL pipes !! :p 

@ brother Riff Raff, I'm still waiting for this pipe. I would like to see what the damage looks like when I've got it in my hand.
I might decide to just ignore that "bite". If I can't, I will take you up on your offer for which I thank you. :D :D 

Other brothers, thanks for your kind words :bounce: 

SpeedyPete":r3xvsqsv said:
@ brother Riff Raff, I'm still waiting for this pipe.  I would like to see what the damage looks like when I've got it in my hand.
I might decide to just ignore that "bite".  If I can't, I will take you up on your offer for which I thank you. :D :D 

Sure, just let me know if you need some help. I just finished herbindave's Guibileo D'Oro, where does a Punto stack up on the Savinelli grading chart?

riff raff":o11mqgz5 said:
SpeedyPete":o11mqgz5 said:
@ brother Riff Raff, I'm still waiting for this pipe.  I would like to see what the damage looks like when I've got it in my hand.
I might decide to just ignore that "bite".  If I can't, I will take you up on your offer for which I thank you. :D :D 

Sure, just let me know if you need some help.   I just finished herbindave's Guibileo D'Oro, where does a Punto stack up on the Savinelli grading chart?
They were just below the Guibleo's. They were still fill free handfinished pipes equal to if not better than some Dunhills as well. They also did blasted finishes in this range which were not the case with the Guibleo's. They were smooth finish only ( at least ALL I've ever seen were :twisted: )

Thanks, I read & learn here!
monbla256":6s9n3ru3 said:
riff raff":6s9n3ru3 said:
SpeedyPete":6s9n3ru3 said:

Sure, just let me know if you need some help.   I just finished herbindave's Guibileo D'Oro, where does a Punto stack up on the Savinelli grading chart?
They were just below the Guibleo's. They were still fill free handfinished pipes equal to if not better than some Dunhills as well. They also did blasted finishes in this range which were not the case with the Guibleo's. They were smooth finish only ( at least ALL I've ever seen were  :twisted: )

:cheers: This BBB (Beautiful Big Beast) landed today!!! It is a HUGE pipe but then, I actually needed something like this :D 

The bite mark on the stem is something I can live with. Not so bad as it looks on the photo. Otherwise the pipe is spotless and........I'm a happy chappie :cheers: 

The dot on the stem's brass, & standard issue.

Punto Oro = "gold dot."

:face: 

Yak":pi9bmzs4 said:
The dot on the stem's brass, & standard issue.

Punto Oro = "gold dot."

:face: 
Hi brother Yak, if you look at the pictures you will notice a bite mark on the stem, very near the button. That is the only mark on the stem.. I reckon the previous owner was clenching the pipe when he got one hell of a shock, hence the lil hole. Maybe that's also why he stopped smoking and sold his pipes.

I now have 5 beautiful Punto Oro Savinellis and I'm looking for one more. Then I will have 6 Puntos and 12 Savinellis in total.

My brothers, I must tell you that this is the most wonderful pipe I've ever owned. The draw is so smooth, so soft, I can sit and smoke it for hours if I want to. What is more amazing is that I can light it so many times. The bowl is quite big, so I can't really empty it in one sitting. I can lit it up to 5 times and every time the tobacco tastes as if I've just started smoking it for the first time. I can smoke it right to the bottom, no fowl smelling or tasting, just sweet, nice tobacco. And, no matter what I put in it, the taste is nice, nice, NICE!!!!!! It might sound impossible but it's true!!! :D 

It fits in my hand as if it was made to order. I have quite big hands and the pipe just sits there like it's part of me. This pipe is like magic, really it is!!!

If I had just one other pipe like this, I would get rid of all my other stuff. :cheers: :bounce: :cheers: 

I've had a dozen or so Punto Oro pipes over the years, and they were all great. In fact, 2 of them are pipes I wish I never would have let go. The Punto Oro line from the 1950's through the 1980's was always really close to the Giubileo D' Oro. The only difference was often the amount of experimentation they've done with the Punto Oro lines. You'll see that brass dot on smooth finishes, ruby bruyere's beautiful ring-grained sandblasts, bamboo shanks, the Mr. G line and some spigot pipes--and that's just the ones I remember off the top of my head.