another winter storm rolls through

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Natch

Geographer Ultimo
B of B Supporter
Reaction score
and as expected, the locals go nuts!  Three flakes fall from the sky, and everyone's at WaleyWorld buying eggs, bread, and toilet paper.  When I first moved here, I couldn't understand why these were the top three "emergency" items, (well, other than cases of beer at the liquor store which are really necessities rather than emergency items).  People who have never eaten an omelet in their lives are buying dozens of eggs?  The bread makes some sense, but a 400 roll mega-pack of  toilet paper?!?  

My childhood was in Upper Michigan, near Lake Superior in a regional snow belt.  We averaged over 180 inches a year, and snow that came in late October didn't melt under the larger pines until mid-June.  We always carried sand or cat litter in the trunk, to throw under the tires for traction after the inevitable slide into the ditch.  My wife and I, at first, envisioned the locals rolling out the toilet paper under the drive wheels for traction, or perhaps inclement weather causes mass diarrhea?  We were new to the area, what did we know.

But, we're all safe at home now, school and work is already canceled for tomorrow, the fire is roaring in the stove, so let four or even five flakes fall from the sky, we're ready for the worst.  I sure hope we don't run out of toilet paper.

Y'all stay warm,

Natch

Wisely spoken Dr. Jeff.

Those are the first items that empty the shelves here in the event of a weather event. I suspect it's much the same everywhere where extremes of weather are not common.

Bread, milk, and TP. Check!

And I grew up in the Mil, WI area. Yet I can't remember a blizzard that motivated me or anyone else to do this!

;)

Cheers,

RR

Folks from where you guys are from forget why god made the Mason Dixon line, and if he had wanted humans to live north of it, he would have had us all born with fur on our bodies !! :twisted: :twisted:

I tried mixing up this survival concoction you always hear about of eggs, bread, and toilet paper. I gotta tell you, it tasted horrible.

Now I realize it must have been the beer I was missing.

I have family down south and they too freak out at a light dusting of powder. The thing I don't understand is they were all raised up here in the frosty boondocks. Must be a mass hysteria thing encouraged by local media.

Well Natch, all I can say is enjoy the circus. :lol!:

monbla256":1sudnog7 said:
Folks from where you guys are from forget why god made the Mason Dixon line, and if he had wanted humans to live north of it, he would have had us all born with fur on our bodies !! :twisted: :twisted:
You mean all you guys don't have fur over your bodies? Now I really feel different!

Natch

Here in Northern Virginia, with so much traffic and so many people going in the same direction, to the same places at the same time, the whole system breaks down in winter weather. They still make me go to work though.

I have similar misunderstandings when they talk about crazy New York heat waves, for example. You'll hear how the whole system is breaking down, people are dying, PEOPLE ARE KILLING!, and to me it doesn't really sound that hot to warrant what takes place.

People are just a bunch of sissies..... :lol!: Anyways, its in the upper 30's here i Houston. It's time to drag out my parka and fur lined gloves again *sigh* ... Can't forget the stocking cap. I am bald under that cowboy hat. :face:

In all seriousness, though, I am one of those that love the cold and hate the heat. When it hits 3 digits with 90%+ humidity, I don't leave the AC. Thats a recipe for Heat exhaustion , which is no fun.

We just got hit with almost 5" of snow last night, the most since 1924 and when you only get that kind of weather every 3 or 4 years, ain't NOBODY gonna know how to drive etc. Besides, there is not ANYBODY that can drive on ICE and that's what we usually get most winters down here every other year or so! Remenber, we have around 10 mo's of summer here !! :twisted: :twisted: I'll take the heat over the cold ANYDAY !! :twisted: :twisted:

Bundle up, gentlemen!!  :santa:

I'm in shorts, thongs, and a t-shirt as I write this reply. The windows are wide open, and I won't even bring a jacket with me to my classes this afternoon! :sunny:  8)

Bwahahahahaha! :king:

We had a good foot here in Western Maryland. The wife snapped this earlier in the afternoon.

11043058_10206332397456727_4195673628401298024_n.jpg