Antique store disappointment

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rail Man

Reaction score
I’m always looking for something special in antique store without much luck. Today was ALMOST an exception.

A Rad Davis ($65) and an American (Tinsky) Black and Tan ($35).

If they didn’t look like they had been run through a wood chipper I’d probably go for it, but there is so much damage to the briar I don’t believe it’s worth the prices, not to mention both would require replacement stems. Too bad!

Yeah, but they can be refinished! I probably would have gone for one of them. I see that railroad lantern in the background and am amazed at the $165.00 price tag. I have 5 of them hanging in my man cave and the most I have ever spent on one was 60 bucks!

If anyone couldn’t live without these pipes I’d be happy to supply the store info. Some big gouges in the briar.

I did find a Holland made Amphora apple in decent shape for 8 bucks. I’m going to attempt a restore on it and if it doesn’t work out, well it was only 8 bucks!

Yea it seems like out here certain things are valued very high including RR lanterns. I wonder how they ever sell anything at some of these places.

For those prices on two very celebrated carvers, it would surely behoove someone to take them on as a project. Rad Davis alone commands estate prices in the $300+ range. And Tinsky is no slouch either. Both could be re-rusticated and finished with the value retained. And both are great smoking machines.

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":44r7km1h said:
For those prices on two very celebrated carvers, it would surely behoove someone to take them on as a project. Rad Davis alone commands estate prices in the $300+ range. And Tinsky is no slouch either. Both could be re-rusticated and finished with the value retained. And both are great smoking machines.

Cheers,

RR
Indeed!