Any Chess players on here?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob_In_MO

Smoker of Fine Aromatics
B of B Supporter
Reaction score
Just a curiosity. I enjoy a good game, and play with the local Chess Club. I'm not a great player, but I enjoy playing win or lose. Of course, I enjoy my pipe while playing. The deep, relaxing state of mind a good bowl of tobacco puts me in seems to pair perfectly with a good game of Chess. We don't play speed chess, and there is no time limit in our casual games - so I often puff on my pipe while contemplating my next move(s).

I was just wondering if any of you Brothers play (and smoke while you play)?

I play chess. I don't pretend to play very well, but I do play.

My real passion as far as games go is an ancient Chinese/Japanese game called Go, very strategy oriented, very simple to learn (only 8 rules), yet it is the oldest board game in the world, and has been proven by computer scientists to be the most complex. http://www.gokgs.com/

I do play chess, but not very well. For a season I was into the online games and did pretty well against the computer. But whenever I got up against a decent human player, I´d inevitably get amy ass handed to me. :evil:

I love it but don't profess to be a great player, God save the Queen. :(

Please don't get the wrong idea, i'm not a very good player either - but I love the game.

What about the pipe? I find it helps me concentrate and fits somewhat naturally with a good game.

MisterE - don't feel bad, happens to us all. Computers just don't play the same as people...
Matt - interesting on the game called GO, i'll have to investigate that a little more; sounds like fun.

I LOVE chess, though I'm not a great player by any means (some would say not even a good player).

I have been attending a rather new local chess club, and will likely go tonight. No puffing allowed, however, given state laws and its location.

I also play correspondence chess at www.redhotpawn.com. If anyone wants to find me there I use the same user name as I do on this forum.

-Andrew

Love chess. Hate computer chess (I don't need to feel like a loser in my spare time). Love to teach others how to play chess. I guess, it's just my desire to help others learn. It has nothing to do with winning. Nothing.

I was once a very active wood-pusher, almost flunked out of college when I played more than I went to class (in the era of Bobby Fisher). Haven't played in probably ten years, but always loved the game. Our university just started an active chess club (I tried to form one about 20 years ago, but it never took off) and I hope to join in a game or two soon.

Natch

If I could find some chess pieces made of briar, possibly carved by, say, Tom Eltang, I might be moved to learn to play.
Might be...

Harlock999":5hn3h5gk said:
If I could find some chess pieces made of briar, possibly carved by, say, Tom Eltang, I might be moved to learn to play.
Might be...
Considering there are 32 pieces, each of them hand-carved by Tom, can you imagine what a set would cost? :affraid:

You could be smoking top notch tobacco for the rest of your life for less.

Natch

Natch":ec4b66xn said:
Harlock999":ec4b66xn said:
Might be...
Considering there are 32 pieces, each of them hand-carved by Tom, can you imagine what a set would cost? :affraid:

You could be smoking top notch tobacco for the rest of your life for less.

Natch
Yes, but imagine the all the pride one could have in setting up such a magnificent set at the park and challenging all comers. Of course, at the end of the day you wouldn't have to go far to get home, because you'd be living in the park after selling your house to afford the set. So it all works out...

Played years ago ,,,,,,,with guys that actually studied the game,,,they were using karpathian defense or lippoanianite rook dominance strategies or some such nonsense,,,took a lot of the fun away when they followed a predetermined set of countermoves,,,took a whack at the computer version a while back but you can't accidentally knock over the board when you're getting your ass handed to you,,,enjoy the game but it takes more than a little dedication to be good at it,,,

Am a semi-serious chess player. I play at our local chess club wednesday nights, but, puffing on a pipe is not allowed, with all the no-smoking laws.

Rob and I have started a correspondance game. So far he's being a terrible chicken with the black pieces. (Is there trash-talk in chess?) and not accepting perfectly good offers of pawns. It's disgusting. :lol:

1. e4, c5
2. b4, d6
3. f4

and a cowardly response .... (I'm really gonna look like a dickhead when I lose lol)

1. e4, c5
2. b4, d6
3. f4, e6

The battle rages, or will if Black ever stops mindlessly milling on the back ranks

1. e4, c5
2. b4, d6
3. f4, e6
4. Nf3, Bd7
5. Be2

Been a while since any updates, a several moves since...

1. e4, c5
2. b4, d6
3. f4, e6
4. Nf3, Bd7
5. Be2, Be7
6. 0-0, Nf6
7. e5, dxe5
8. fxe5, Nd5
9. d4, cxb4
10. Bd2, O-O
11. c3, bxc3

I've played this guy
192-56.jpg
and lost every time! :x I wish I could still play you Andrew, but I started feeling guilty about taking the time away from work - and it took a lot of time to try to anticipate your moves!

I do like chess, a lot, but I don't play regularly enough and I've lost a lot of the chops I once had.

I have a small chess computer with a RISC processor, and I've beaten it up to its mid-level difficulty, at which point, now, it routinely whoops me - especially since I only break it out a few times a year. I really should play more often.