Any Downton Abbey fans here?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Blackhorse":96n3sj7n said:
Hey eggy - if you’re a Grimm watcher you’ve been subjected to massive doses of Portland...my town.  That show makes us look good.
Yes Portland does look like a nice town from the show. My uncle lived there and Eugene for a short time in the mid 90’s. He tried several times to get me to come out there.

Why are monsters and vampires drawn to that area?

Brewdude":iymb1vbz said:
BH and eggy, be aware that watching DA can be an OCD sorta thing. Just sayin'.......

Cheers,

RR
That’s just what I need, more OCD activities. Lol

I’ve watched several seasons of the sopranos a couple times. That made me hungry for Italian food, drink wine, rip the gps out of my car and hang out in the back of a strip club.

eggman":x3s53z80 said:
Blackhorse":x3s53z80 said:
Hey eggy - if you’re a Grimm watcher you’ve been subjected to massive doses of Portland...my town.  That show makes us look good.
Yes Portland does look like a nice town from the show. My uncle lived there and Eugene  for a short time in the mid 90’s. He tried several times to get me to come out there.

I don’t know about Vampires...but monsters, etc. pretty much like a nice place to live just as much as the next guy.

Blackhorse":xaxq1676 said:
eggman":xaxq1676 said:
Blackhorse":xaxq1676 said:
Yes Portland does look like a nice town from the show. My uncle lived there and Eugene  for a short time in the mid 90’s. He tried several times to get me to come out there.

I don’t know about Vampires...but monsters, etc. pretty much like a nice place to live just as much as the next guy.  
For some reason I was thinking the Twilight series was supposed to be set in that area. Vampires and werewolves I guess you can’t have one without the other.

True, I’m certainly no Twilight expert but I felt called upon to defend Portland’s honor...so I checked and yes, parts of the first Twilight film was shot in the Portland area. But Portland was never a “member of the cast” as it was in Grimm. The Twilight books or whatever as written were set in Forks, WA. So it would seem to be a Washington story more than Portland. Anyway, subsequent shooting was in Washington state I believe...La Push and also in Vancouver, BC, etc., etc. But all that is just from a quick look-up. I have never been a Twilight fan, not having seen any of them.

Alas...we don’t have any vampire or wolfman emoticons. Pity. I think they would be fun and maybe even useful. :D

Blackhorse":hryd40eb said:
True, I’m certainly no Twilight expert but I felt called upon to defend Portland’s honor...so I checked and yes, parts of the first Twilight film was shot in the Portland area.  But Portland was never a “member of the cast” as it was in Grimm.  The Twilight books or whatever as written were set in Forks, WA.  So it would seem to be a Washington story more than Portland.  Anyway, subsequent shooting was in Washington state I believe...La Push and also in Vancouver, BC, etc., etc.  But all that is just from a quick look-up.  I have never been a Twilight fan, not having seen any of them.  

Alas...we don’t have any vampire or wolfman emoticons.  Pity.  I think they would be fun and maybe even useful.  :D
Blackhorse thanks for the follow up. I too am not a twilight saga follower. Guess I’m not a teen age girl with issues! Thank goodness. I’m just a 48 y/o with worse issues.

But darn it I hasten already pulled the trigger and on my 3rd episode of Grimm. After it will be Fringe. I loved that show until the last season or 2 when they just went 2 unbelievable even for me. And I’m a green lantern/ green arrow comic book fan.

Another huge fan here.
Fan of most british "period" pieces. Got my wife hooked on it. We own the series and watch it regularly, take the set with us in the camper.

Watched the first 2/3 of the movie last night, but then I was rudely interrupted. A couple of things: 1) a couple actors were a bit rusty pulling these characters out of their war chest, but no big whoop 2) there's so much good stuff happening here that it did sadden me that it wasn't given a 2-3Xs the time to develop. Fellowes wrote a worthy screenplay for this different format. BRAVO.

Just love the British "period pieces" on PBS!!! I became hooked on Doc Martin; but have now tired of the multiple repeat seasons. Awaiting the continuance of "Victoria;" hopefully it will continue!! Still PO'd that "Beecham House" didn't get a second season. "Father Brown" has become a regular favorite as has "Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries." My wife enjoys Phryne's adventures.
DA continues to hold my attention; so glad a second movie is in the works! Interesting that Maggie Smith is still on board! Kinda' got the idea she was on her last legs toward the end of the first movie. Lady Violet is a tough ol' bird!!!!
Epix and Starz (Outlander!!!!!) both have excellent British-connected theme series. FWIW, FTRPLT

Good news. I wish it wasn't a movie, though. If these movies would have been mini-series on UK TV, PBS would have licensed them for US TV. For me, this is a home event, and HBOmax is eh. But anyway, great news.

If the wife is watching it and I’m in the room I might sit and watch. But no, not usually.

but I do like the scenery, the costumes of the time.

I just recently finished watching the entire series for the unknownth time. It's been a bunch. And I used to leave it play while I was doing other things when PBS still had the rights and used it to fill a lot of spots. Then, watched the movie for the second time. I'm looking forward to this second movie, but I'm confused by the wedding and how old Sybbie looks now. The two don't line up, unless Tom and (can't remember her name) don't get married for years. I guess we'll see.

We saw the trailer for the next Downton Abbey movie before Spencer yesterday. We’re looking forward to it.

I smoked a couple of Highclere Castle Cigars a couple of weeks ago. The maduro was the better of the two but still an unremarkable smoke.

Apparently "A New Era" is set for release on May 18th. So far there has been no pre-ordering of the DVD on amazon, but I'll certainly be watching for that. In the meantime I've been staying away from the trailers!

Cheers,

RR