Any Downton Abbey fans here?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just watched the DVD yesterday, and sadly feel let down. The performances by some of the actors were weak and not up their usual standards, the story line tenuous and unfocused, and while the cinematography was up to its usual excellent standards I felt let down. I'd give it maybe 5 out of 10 on a good day.

Of course I'll give it another go, and may warm to it more at that point. After all, I was rather disappointed in the first movie but upon subsequent viewings came around to it a little more. Perhaps this will be the same, but somehow I have my doubts.

All that said I remain a huge devotee to the series and re-watch it regularly.

Cheers,

RR

To prevent any confusion for me in the future (when I'm scratching my head, thinking I posted about it in this thread and wondering where it is), this is a cross-post from the movie watching thread.

Downton Abbey: A New Era (2022)
Always glad to see these actors playing these characters. Now that I've said that nicety, this is likely Fellowes' weakest script in every way. I've seen a lot of his stuff, too. The story...there really isn't much of a story, but that would be fine if the characters weren't barely shadows of their former selves on top of it. There are a couple situations sold as stories, but...I honestly don't know how this ran for two hours without much connective tissue to fill out the situations. Right from the start, I felt it odd for a Fellowes script. Without giving away anything, the Dowager said some things, and then in the very next scene, when she was no longer part of the group, they repeated everything she just said. I'd have to think about it more, but I don't think I've ever seen Fellowes do this. But then as the movie moved forward, I understood. Most of the movie felt like an afterthought. I hate to be so negative. I LOVE this show. It's the weakest two hours of everything Dowton. I cannot deny it.

After many viewings, I think my favorite relationship is between Mary and Tom. She allowed him to be himself, while also needing who he is in her life. It was both selfless because of Sybil's wishes, while also being selfish. Fellowes hit it out of the ball park with their development. She could have easily used her rank to put him in his place or challenged him, but she trusted and respected him; ultimately loving him. Maybe even more than the Dowager, he could speak to her in a real, honest, critical way, and she readily accepted his opinions. Really, the only person she treated like an equal. At times, she was almost submissive to him because he was so important to her. Maybe she learned that level of bond from Matthew, but it played out with Tom. Because it wasn't a romantic relationship, I think it can get overlooked for how substantial it was, and it anchored the final couple of seasons.

Ran into this yesterday. Wondered what some of them were doing. I know Michelle Dockery is a singer sometimes in lounge/jazz settings. This is actually quality Americana folk. I'm impressed. I'm not impressed with releasing a song here and a song here, like is so common today with streaming, but that's for another time. I've always been an album person. I want to sit down for 40+ minutes with a band. His voice is good, and it is made even more interesting with his lisp.

Michael and Michelle (aka Andy and Lady Mary from Downton Abbey)