Any Football/Soccer fans here?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SourMilk

Reaction score
Arsenal supporter checking in to see if there are any others here who follow the sport.

Spurs fans can keep quiet in the corner. :tongue:

Zanaspus":bwxtfpd7 said:
I am indeed a gooner as well!
Right on!

This season has been pretty great so far. Wasn't expecting Unai to get the team where they're at so soon.

I used to be in the late 70s through to mid 80s but lost interest when the game began to change. Players throwing themselves on the floor to gain a penalty, the abuse the ref gets (you don't see this in rugby), and the obscene sums of money that players now receive all completely put me off the game.

Stick":3qg2j13u said:
I used to be in the late 70s through to mid 80s but lost interest when the game began to change. Players throwing themselves on the floor to gain a penalty, the abuse the ref gets (you don't see this in rugby), and the obscene sums of money that players now receive all completely put me off the game.
I can understand that perfectly, especially living amongst it. I think the reason I gravitate to football is that I live in America and am not exposed to it 24/7 like I COULD be with American sports. I honestly think it's the incessant sports media coverage that has soured me to American sports so that in the 90s I returned to football proper because I only get about 3-4 hours per week of people talking about it.

allyby":ddap90ts said:
Heart of Midlothian fan here.
Nice to see passion and not just another Rangers or Celtic fan "because they're good."

I am a fan as well but the local politics of the where will FC Cincinnati play/build a stadium has soured me on the local USL/MLS brand here.

Also as a guy who still tries to play (I was described as speedy for the first time in 35 years on the pitch) I like Stick have some issues with the current game. It seems like the skill levels on professional teams are not what they were years ago in my youth...

I am a fan of those teams that move between league one and two up to premiership!

Zanaspus":wxhugup4 said:
allyby":wxhugup4 said:
Nice to see passion and not just another Rangers or Celtic fan "because they're good."
Hearts in 1st! ...for the time being at least

As an Orlando Magic fan I can attest that unconditionally supporting a terrible team builds character. Many young folk I meet just don't have any loyalty to their local teams.

Zanaspus,

You are totally correct with your last statement there as a long suffering fan of Cincinnati sports...

I think the thing that English soccer has completely correct is the relegation aspect to keep fans, management, and ownership interested in improving the teams competitive nature. This makes those last games of the season very important.

Zanaspus":k084kw0y said:
Stick":k084kw0y said:
I can understand that perfectly, especially living amongst it. I think the reason I gravitate to football is that I live in America and am not exposed to it 24/7 like I COULD be with American sports. I honestly think it's the incessant sports media coverage that has soured me to American sports so that in the 90s I returned to football proper because I only get about 3-4 hours per week of people talking about it.
Yup, in some parts of the UK it's like a religion. Liverpool / Everton for example and also up in the North East around Newcastle. I lived in the NE when Newcastle lost to Arsenal in the FA Cup final in '98. It was like the whole of the NE had died.

I have enjoyed the game though. I used to play for several teams when I was a teenager, my highlight being winning the schools' final which was played at Exeter City's home ground (and where I'm originally from) St James's Park. Most of the Exeter team were watching, all of whom were my heroes, and of course my dad and his work mates. Fond memories.

I also have fond memories of watching some of the old legends like the Charlton brothers, George Best, and of course the magical Pele who, IMHO, is the greatest player of all time for a number of reasons.

So for me football is now confined to watching the world cup although I never get caught up in the 'it's England's year this year' mentally; the chances of them winning both with past and present teams is very slim but of course there's the die hards who see English football as a religion who continue to believe.

History Prof 1861":9ssj8l9h said:
This makes those last games of the season very important.
This really kills my excitement for the NBA. With no relegation, as with all sports here, and about the only way for small market teams like my Magic to improve is with the draft. So every year teams try and tank especially towards the end of the season after playoff hopes die. The NBA really need to fix this both for competitive and aesthetic reasons.

I'm not much into any "professional" sports, but I have been to a couple of Chattanooga FC's games and really enjoy them. I think they are part of what would be considered "minor league" in baseball terms. Anyway, the games are fun and their fans are pretty crazy which makes it a fun experience to be there.

Any Cornhuskers fans out there? Rough start to the season, but they are looking better (at least on offense). Scott Frost - Making Nebraska Great Again.

SourMilk":ezhe89wy said:
Zanaspus":ezhe89wy said:
allyby":ezhe89wy said:
Hearts in 1st! ...for the time being at least

As an Orlando Magic fan I can attest that unconditionally supporting a terrible team builds character. Many young folk I meet just don't have any loyalty to their local teams.
They are in first, but I'm willing to bet he hasn't hit the bandwagon in the past couple of years. :lol!: