Any Hal O' The Wynd fans?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluefisher

Reaction score
Just about finished my first 100g tin of HOTW, and I have to say I really really like it. At first I found it pleasant but lacking depth, but I keep reaching past the other tins on my desk to smoke this one. It strikes a nice balance of sweetness, a little spice, and bassy tobacco. I've looked around the internet a bit and found a bit about the brand's history.

Anyone else enjoying this blend? If you do, what similar blends would you recommend?

Does Kolhase & Kopp have a reputation for using quality tobacco?

I just noticed on the bottom of the tins it says "US Distributor: Arango Cigar CO" - the sames folks for whom Penzance is made.

I don't have a lot more to say I suppose, beyond recommending HOTW. Of course YMMV.

I too enjoy Rattray's Hal 'O the Wynd and have a couple 100g cans in my cellar.

Reiner Long Golden Flake is similar to HOtW, as is Orlik Golden Sliced, and Brigham Klondike Gold, though the latter has no Perique. Doesn't much matter though, because none of these blends have very much Perique (that I can taste, anyway).

Several Kolhase & Kopp blends may meet your preferences, including Astley's No.109 as well as some blends from Planta, such as Fribourg & Treyer Vintage.

Thanks for the recommendations Roth. LGF has been on my list for a while, I'll have to add a tin to the next TAD order.

I find all of Rattray's blends high class.

The "Trinity" of Old Gowrie, Marlin Flake and Hal 'O the Wyn are quite a nice trio to keep on your shelf.

Slow Puffs":zxovlok8 said:
I find all of Rattray's blends high class.

The "Trinity" of Old Gowrie, Marlin Flake and Hal 'O the Wyn are quite a nice trio to keep on your shelf.
My feelings 100%. Got some older tins from '01 or so I need to get to. Bet they're magical by now!

Cheers,

RR

rothnh":5h4bpn37 said:
I too enjoy Rattray's Hal 'O the Wynd and have a couple 100g cans in my cellar.

Reiner Long Golden Flake is similar to HOtW, as is Orlik Golden Sliced, and Brigham Klondike Gold, though the latter has no Perique.  Doesn't much matter though, because none of these blends have very much Perique (that I can taste, anyway).

Several  Kolhase & Kopp blends may meet your preferences, including Astley's No.109 as well as some blends from Planta, such as  Fribourg & Treyer Vintage.
All are solid blends as mentioned and are right in my wheelhouse. F&T Vintage especially rings my bells.

Cheers,

RR

Hermit":y2erk87a said:
HOTW is one of my favorites.
I have over fifteen pounds of it.
The best place for Rattray's is still JR Cigars.
$13.50 a 100g tin with $5 flat rate shipping.
http://www.jrcigars.com/jr/index.cfm/hurl/evt=pipeList/catid=614
Rattray's "trinity" of pipe tobaccos are also available in 500 gram (half kilo,1.1 pounds) mylar bags from P&C, SPC and 4 Noggins for about $65 a bag.  They're even less at 4 Noggins with the 10% BoB member discount ... breaks down to $5.85 per 100 grams w/ the discount --less than half the canned price, and free shipping for orders of $100.

rothnh":i296sedj said:
Hermit":i296sedj said:
HOTW is one of my favorites.
I have over fifteen pounds of it.
The best place for Rattray's is still JR Cigars.
$13.50 a 100g tin with $5 flat rate shipping.
http://www.jrcigars.com/jr/index.cfm/hurl/evt=pipeList/catid=614
Rattray's "trinity" of pipe tobaccos are also available in 500 gram (half kilo,1.1 pounds) mylar bags from P&C, SPC and 4 Noggins for about $65 a bag.  They're even less at 4 Noggins with the 10% BoB member discount ... breaks down to $5.85 per 100 grams w/ the discount --less than half the canned price, and free shipping for orders of $100.
Not exactly.   :?:
More like $12 per 100g. Still a great deal with the discount.

Hermit":fc90vcfc said:
Not exactly.   :?:
More like $12 per 100g.  Still a great deal with the discount.
LOL ya, it's $11.70, not $5.85 --divided the 500g by 10 instead of 5 -- a math wiz I'm not  :roll:

rothnh":cxtt4h33 said:
... breaks down to $5.85 per 100 grams w/ the discount --less than half the canned price, and free shipping for orders of $100.
HA! I almost fell out of my chair. Still really a rather great deal.