Any one Drive a Rav4?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slow Puffs

Reaction score
My Jeep Liberty lease is ending in a few months. I was in the Jeep dealership and looked at the Jeep Compass but after reading the reviews this morning, it doesn't look worth the bother of a test drive.

I like the 4WD for both country/city driving in the winters. The Liberty is great but it is a gas guzzler.

The new Toyota Matrix is an AWD but it is fairly low to the ground. I don't need to pull anything but like to get through snowdrifts, unploughed roads, and if I skid off the highway, it would be nice to have a chance to get it back on the road again.

The RAV4 seems to have good reviews.

:D Paul

My mom drives a Rav4, but it's the city-fied version - 2WD and the little 4cyl motor. The thing just runs, like Toyotas do, they're a smart investment. The one knock is the size, they're pretty small - but then I'm pretty big and get kind of irritated sitting in anything smaller than my Dodge Ram. I've ridden in hers a few times, for a commuter vehicle it would OK so long as the commute was a relatively short one. Like I said, they're pretty small....

Good day all;

I own a 2006 Rav 4. I traded in a piece of crap Nissan Quest rattle box mini van. I've driven Toyota's for many years and have never had one I did not like.

The Rav 4 is good on fuel. Tilt and telescoping steering colum so it will work for all heights. I am 5'5". I think anyone a foot taller would feel cramped though. It did take me a little while to get used to the feeling of the interior as it feels small, but has good head room. More the side to side feel.

It handles very well. I have the AWD with 4 wheel drive option. I was thinking about the V6, but after driving the 4 the V6 seemed to be like riding an under weight rocket. The 4 banger has enough power for passing with ease and climbing hills at highway speed.

I would suggest that IF possible get the taller tire option. The 17" wheels that come standard make the ride a little "stiff" for long hauls. Also the ash tray option is a portable that fits in a cup holder. It rattles around as it is not a snug fit. One area of concern is a decent spot for a pipe rest. Not much available.

It has many storage areas. 2 dash glove boxes and a split compartment console. The bottom portion will hold 2 lb's of tobacco or around 20 pipes. Upper portion will hold 2 large bags of pipe cleaners. The perfect vehicle for one that crosses the border a great deal..... did I say that? ;)

I did not get the 3 rd row seating option. So mine seats 5. The rear area behind the back seats has enough room for our "home protection unit" , Ozzy. Ozzy is a decent sized Mastiff / Rotty cross at around 115 - 120 lbs.

All in all I like the vehicle allot.

Regards
Michael J. Glukler

Man you guys pretty well sold me on the Rav4... when it comes time, I'll ask the sales person to send you two a share of the commission. :lol:

I'm 6' 4" but I sat in one when my wife got her Matrix last October. The seating, for me, can't be any worse than the Liberty.

Michael the review I read shared about the V6 and that it felt like too much power. Good to hear. At my age, I'm not looking for power.

I think I'll explore the "moon roof" option. It might act as ventilation as an option to the windows.

The other thing, Toyota's seem to hold a good resale value.

My wife's last two cars have been Toyotas. I had an old Toyota Crown that I bought for $100 in the 60's. I then sold it to my brother-in-law who subsequently trashed it in an accident. We had a Corona when we first moved to Alberta in 1974...

Any others are welcome to add there 2 cents worth.

:D Paul

I am pretty sure that my next vehicle will be a Rav4. I have a buddy who just got one and loves it.

The price is pretty reasonable for a Toyota, the resale will also be much better than anything domestic and the things go forever. The company I work for had a pretty much all Toyota fleet and they sold me on them. One guy had a 4 Runner that had over 450k on it and most of that was highway construction, and the only repair was a head gasket at about 380k. Nuff said really.

I have owned 6 Toyota products and three of them currently. In my humble opinion Toyota products are the best automobile products on the market and have been for a long time. I looked at the RAV4's but haven't purchased one yet, but given the right deal I would not hesitate to. Other than routine maintenance I have never had a problem with any of my Toyotas. I bought an old 1989 Camry Wagon a few weeks ago and I am in the process of putting a new engine in it. The only reason that I am doing it is because I got a good deal on an engine with less miles out of a car that had been wrecked. I was going to go through the old engine anyway. New timing belt, seals, valve cover gasket, etc. Just so happened this guy had just done all that work to one for his daughter and she wrecked the car three weeks later. The biggest thing that I have found with Toyotas maintenance wise is changing the timing belt when it is recommended. If you don't it will break.

WALNUT TOYOTO!!! I like the sound of that. Next year or the year after we will be getting a new car and I do like what I've read about them. Have a good Day :bounce: :cyclops: :sunny:

regor":gt0tkcd6 said:
WALNUT TOYOTO!!! I like the sound of that. Next year or the year after we will be getting a new car and I do like what I've read about them. Have a good Day :bounce: :cyclops: :sunny:
Free Tin of Walnut with the purchase of a new or qualified pre-owned Toyota!

:lol!:

Justpipes":xpz71hen said:
Free Tin of Walnut with the purchase of a new or qualified pre-owned Toyota!

:lol!:

Reason enough to buy a different brand.. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

He could always toss in an extra tin of Haddos LOL :cyclops: :bounce: :sunny: