Any pipe carvers?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Everyone,

I only found this last night, but am interested in helping out, if necessary. I'd be glad to put up a special page just for BoB on my pipe review site.

I can create a special site, only accessible by BoB members. Picture can be posted, and we can accept "anonymous" reviews.

Let me know if this is something you would be interested in.

Thanks,

Martin

Just found this thread. I'll give it a shot, even though I've probably only SMOKED a pipe maybe 15 times! :geek:

Just ordered my pre-drilled kit today. Looking forward to it.

Also, I'd be willing to chip in for a prize if you guys are wanting to have one for the winner.

Oh, and you might consider renaming this thread "Pipe Crafting Contest" or something like that. I had trouble finding this thread today.

I know we are doing this anomalously so how and to who are we submitting these to?

I don't have a clue ,,I guess someone needs to step up and coordinate that portion,,,,

Possibly non biased judge or two that gets a pm with the picture of each pipe ?

MartinH":hylk8fbs said:
Hey Everyone,

I only found this last night, but am interested in helping out, if necessary. I'd be glad to put up a special page just for BoB on my pipe review site.
I can create a special site, only accessible by BoB members. Picture can be posted, and we can accept "anonymous" reviews.
Let me know if this is something you would be interested in.Thanks,Martin
MartinH offered his services,,,anyone else have input?,,,

i.keenum said:
Possibly non biased judge or two that gets a pm with the picture of each pipe ?
well it was agreed to be judged by a board poll,,,,let me send out some feelers and see what I can come up with,,,

Doc Manhattan has generously offered to to be the neutral party and receive the pictures of your pipes. Doc will put the pipe pictures in a Flickr album with anonymous ID numbers, BoB members can then view them and cast their votes on the poll.

Thanks Doc,,,

As Mark says, I'm the "factory showroom" for this little contest. Just to be clear, since I know who goes with which pipe, I'm NOT a judge. (But I do get to see pictures of all your amazing carving work first. A little perk.)

So, here's how it goes:
0. Finish and photgraph your pipe. Get the photos looking the way you like, and post them somewhere online. (Photobucket should work fine.)

1. PM me a link to the picture(s) of your pipe and I will download a copy.

1A. TWO (2) photos max per pipe, please. Just to keep me sane. They sell $300 pipes with just two pictures online; it's enough.

2. I will give each pipe an arbitrary number and keep the Master List for later.

3. I will post each pipe picture by number on a special Flickr album. That's what I'll link to, for the judge and all the rest of you to check out the entries.

4. The judge will announce the number he deems the winner, and I'll confirm the identity of the carver (and all the other carvers too, so you can get your props.)

5. The prize is somebody else's department. So is picking the judge(s) and the deadline. 8)

5A. But once a deadline is chosen, I will absolutely hold you to it. Midnight, Pacific Time, on that day. :twisted:

Ooops, should have read back in the topic.

The deadline is SEPTEMBER 1, 2011. I'll take those links up until the end of day, Pacific time (0300 Sept. 2 Eastern).

I can't wait to see what people come up with. I just carved my very first pipe, and it was a fun experience. The pipe is "okay" but it's what I hope to be the first of many. :)

Good luck to everyone.

Martin

I got my predrilled kit in last week and tried to shape the briar with my existing tools - a table-mounted Porter Cable router and a RotoZip.

I tried the router first. The first bit worked okay, but it was a rounding bit, so it wasn't really useful for initial shaping. I switched to a more aggressive full-length bit, but that was a mistake. It tore a small chunk out of the briar and threatened to fling the block across the garage. The router was set to its lowest speed, but it's still 20,000 RPMs which was way too high.

So I tried the RotoZip next, with a small sanding drum chucked in it. I don't have a table for the RotoZip though, so I had to use it freehand. It wasn't as scary as using the router, but it didn't do much to the wood, either. A minute worth of sanding put a small dent in the block. I can see using the RotoZip for detail work or to cut interesting patterns into the briar, but for initial shaping I needed to take off a lot more wood.

So I went to the hardware store and bought a corded drill (I have a cordless drill, but I needed something that would run for an extended sanding session.) The drill fit the bill because of its lower RPM than the router/rotozip. I bought both coarse and fine sanding flap wheels for a few bucks each, and jury-rig mounted the drill to a sawhorse with a couple of clamps. So far, it works great, and I was able to do the initial shaping of the stem part of the stummel, with a big block still left for the bowl.

Next up, I'm going to use the sanding wheel I bought for the drill to shape the bowl. I'll take some pictures next time before I start working on it so you can see my setup. I'll leave the pipe stummel out of the pictures until the contest is over.

So far, I'm enjoying it and learning a lot!

o.k.... found this thread just today....
i have a few questions... :)
i am carving pipes for about a bit more than a year now... can i put a pipe for contest here???
from what i can see this is a contest of guys with no knowledge in pipemaking... however, i have made my first pipe also from a prebored briar - if not the last pipe - can i send pictures of the first one made a year ago :)???
this is just for fun and to be a part of this :) :)
regards and thank you :)
daniel

tNd":qv2vtgnv said:
from what i can see this is a contest of guys with no knowledge in pipemaking... this is just for fun,,,
Right, a lot of us have talked about carving a pipe "someday",,,this is just a way to get us off our butts and doing something about it. If you're an beginner/amateur feel free to enter. It's all about learning and learning from each other.

O.k. - as agreed with Mark i have send two pictures from my first pipe i have made that was also a predrilled block from Pimo... :)

the pipe is not a big deal but it is fun to participate so i encourage you guys to try it - pipemaking is fun :)
regards
daniel

Well tNd the contest is based on anonymity,,if you post your pipe contest entry for everyone to see it's hard to remain anonymous.

in other words as long as the link to your pictures remains in your posting, everyone can see them and when the September first deadline arrives your pipe may not be anonymous.

Maybe just delete the two links to your pictures so your pipe will be a mystery come September,,,:D

You've sent the pics to Doc so you're all set,,,(no I didn't look,,),,,:D

mark":zgavx84i said:
Well tNd the contest is based on anonymity,,if you post your pipe contest entry for everyone to see it's hard to remain anonymous.

in other words as long as the link to your pictures remains in your posting, everyone can see them and when the September first deadline arrives your pipe may not be anonymous.

Maybe just delete the two links to your pictures so your pipe will be a mystery come September,,,:D

You've sent the pics to Doc so you're all set,,,(no I didn't look,,),,,:D
:) ouuppss... i am an idiot :) :) :) heheheheh...
deleted :) sorry :)

Since we have two categories (pipe from a prebored kit- pipe made from scratch) let Doc know when you send him your pictures whether it's a ,,,"kit" or "scratch",, please. tNd is the only one I know of that sent his pics so far,,his was a kit. Thanks.

mark":34a40dzz said:
Since we have two categories (pipe from a prebored kit- pipe made from scratch) let Doc know when you send him your pictures whether it's a ,,,"kit" or "scratch",, please. tNd is the only one I know of that sent his pics so far,,his was a kit. Thanks.
done that :) thanks :p
regards
daniel

ABOUT THREE WEEKS LEFT BEFORE THE SEPTEMBER FIRST DEADLINE.

Plenty of time, just thought I'd stir things up a little bit,,,,:affraid: