Anybody ever read this book?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hunter5117

Reaction score
I am looking for some help in identifying a book that I have not read in maybe 40 years. It is a scifi novel, author unknown.

Main gist of the book is that the world's population has been reduced to a bunch of "worker bees" who do the work of the central government. They are kept under control through daily doses of mood suppression drugs administered as part of their daily nutrition. Food has been reduced to Coca Cola and "cakes" (Twinkies or the like). Alcohol and tobacco are extinct, but recreational drugs and promiscuous sex is part of everyday life. A small group figures out how to avoid getting their daily dose of drugs, and rediscover being human through PIPE SMOKING!!! (I know, maybe corny but sort of uncanny isn't it).

After that the ending is sort of foggy, reason I would like to re-read the book. Also, may need to read up on the details in case BoB gets called on to save the world.

If anyone has any idea on the title or author, it would be much appreciated.

EJ, very much in the same Utopian genre as Brave New World, much less involved, it was just a pulp novel from the 60's.

The reason I have been trying to find it was the centering of the theme of smoking tobacco, and especially pipe smoking, as the basis for which the characters got together and eventually plotted the over taking of the Utopian leaders. The socializing, philosophizing, etc that went together with their smoking, which they had to go to great lengths to hide from everyone else, formed a bond that allowed them to become the revolutionaries.

I think its called "The daily news".. you can pick it up at any 7/11 or just flip on the ole boob tube while you have your coke and twinkie.. :lol:

Seriously I have no clue, but it sounds good.