Anybody here a Brigham man?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jevverrett

Reaction score
I recently started listening to the pipes magazine radio show. The fella Brian Levine that hosts it is/was the big dog for Brigham pipe sales in the u.s. I know it’s his job, but talked them up a bit one episode. I watched a trunk show presentation he did on them in Florida too on the YouTube. He got me thinkin, and I bought one of the tundra system pipes. A sitting bent apple maybe? Apparently it’s an older style shape they brought back recently. Either way, I’ve been smoking it for about a month now. Its a pretty solid pipe, and the rock maple inserts do collect a lot of moisture. So I bought another one lol. I was wondering if anybody else shares my experience.

I have two Brigham pipes that smoke well. A Heritage billiard with slight bend, and an older rusticated pot 259 with slight bend also.
They have the maple insert. Works the way it is supposed to work. I clean out the inserts, let them dry and use them again.

I’m curious when you say you clean them. I’d guess you use alcohol or some such, but how many times does that work before they’re shot?

I would consider myself a Brigham man. I have about 15-20 of them including the poker shape from the new Tundra line. As for the maple rock filters I almost exclusively use them for the break-in period of the pipes, (10-20 good smokes) I basically run water through them and let them dry out for at least two days before use. I would recommend buying a five-pack for rotational purposes depending on your smoking habits. After that though I smoke them without the filter if the weather is warm.

WARNING: this might be a one-off situation but before the first smoke of your brighams make sure to disassemble the pipe then reassemble as I have found the filter can be “tight”and if smoked outdoors the moisture almost glues the filter in place if the smoke is wet and I have had to drill out a filter once before. No damage done to the pipe but it was a hassle.

One of them I had to dig a filter out of. I also found they smoke better without after the break in. All things considered, I like them a lot at this point.

Yes, very much. Growing up in Canada, I smoked almost exclusively Brighams when I got old enough to afford them. I have a few nice ones, including a beautiful little straight grain 7-dot dublin that I bought when a friend closed his news and tobacco shop. Have bought quite a few estates as well, some nice, some not so nice.

I have just one, a BoB poty from a few years back. I’ve been experimenting with the insert out. So far I like the increased airflow.

Attachments

• 6BF2F4E6-5144-4BA3-9ED3-411AC9D2CB5C.jpeg
    6BF2F4E6-5144-4BA3-9ED3-411AC9D2CB5C.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 73
That 2013 POTY looks pretty sweet. Got myself a lovely straight bulldog Brigham which was unstained and it smokes very well. It has coloured up nicely over the years, going from a blond to a brunette. Will have to try it without the insert as recommended here.

I bought my first Bringham, the POTY and you get a free tamper… haven’t smoked it yet but looking forward to.