Anyone cut their own hair?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've long been considering the possibility of cutting my own hair rather than going to a barber. I've been getting a #4 cut for years, but it grows back so fast I have to make repeated visits more often than I'd like. Can't stand the feel of hair touching my ears anymore. And this from a former hippy that had hair halfway down his back in the late 60's-mid 70's!

So where I'm going with this is that I want to go with a #2 cut, which should afford me the ability to cut my own hair as necessary. I had a #2 cut for a while and loved it. No fussing, no maintenance.

So if any of you who cut your own hair in a similar fashion can recommend an  electric clippers with the proper attachment for a #2 cut I'd be grateful to know of it.

The only downside of such a short cut is that my head gets cold easily, and so then the rest of me! So I might be resigned to wearing a skull cap.

:cherry:

Cheers,

RR

I shave my head, and have saved a ton on haircuts. When I hit the point of having only half a head of hair, I refused to pay for haircuts.

Fatman":am16bupc said:
I shave my head, and have saved a ton on haircuts. When I hit the point of having only half a head of hair, I refused to pay for haircuts.

I'm with you 100%.
Mofo is only doing half the work but wants full price plus tip.. Nope, I can use a razor.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/V3G1cwqYkO4" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen ></iframe>

I cut mine for maybe 15 years. It was just a #2 guard.

My wife finally told me she could not stand it any more and needed me to go to a barber. I told the barber I wanted a #2 guard all over and make it look like I have been to a barber. She does ears, eyebrows, beard trim, etc. for $8,

Youtube vids are useful to a point, but what I'm looking for is testimony about a specific set of cutters that you have used successfully for a #2 cut.

In my mind it shouldn't be that difficult to run a set of clippers through the hair to do this. Or is it?!

:!:

Cheers,

RR

I've spent next to nothing on haircuts my entire life.
Before I got drafted, I just didn't get haircuts. 8)
Then no more haircuts for a while.
For years my wife cut my hair.
Then, as the temples receded it got shorter
and shorter til I was cutting it myself with
a trimmer. Then when a patch of open water
opened up on the crown, I said the hell with hair.
I've been shaving for years and wouldn't go back. ;)
I wish the rest of it would fall out. :twisted:

I've been cutting my own hair for about 5 years... I use simple wahl clippers from Walmart. My art was about $30 and it has guards number 8 all the way down to a 1/2.... in the summer I use a 2 on the sides and fade to the top. The top I trim with scissors. The scissors part is pretty easy. I go with a lazy part on the side and the beauty of this is the top doesn't need to be exact because it lies pretty flat on my head, but it's easy to get the top of my hair on my noggin pretty even.

The hard part is the back, esp w the fade, but if you're going 2 or 4 or whatever all over, I think you got this. Invest in a cheap standing mirror that you can put beside your bathroom mirror and that will let you see the back without contorting your body all over so you can see. For my neckline I like to hit the very bottom with a #1 and it usually makes for a smooth transition to the #2 on my sides. Only do this for the bottom inch or less.

The first couple times you might stumble a little, but you'll figure out what works for you...

I didn't know what you ment by #4 and #2 until today. Every 2 weeks my wife has been cutting my hair. #1 on my head and beard and #000 on the eyebrows and to trim the head area.

Been doing it since '99. Untold $$$ shifted to other things plus I make small talk with someone I care about!

Good point by leacha... you can always have your wife, son, daughter (someone you trust and care about) trim you up.... even if you do all the easy stuff, they can do the back. Sometimes my wife does the back for me... but honestly I do a better job, just takes me a little longer cause it is hard to cut what you can't readily see.

Old Nate":7ggdjo7l said:
I've been cutting my own hair for about 5 years... I use simple wahl clippers from Walmart. My art was about $30 and it has guards number 8 all the way down to a 1/2.... in the summer I use a 2 on the sides and fade to the top. The top I trim with scissors. The scissors part is pretty easy. I go with a lazy part on the side and the beauty of this is the top doesn't need to be exact because it lies pretty flat on my head, but it's easy to get the top of my hair on my noggin pretty even.

The hard part is the back, esp w the fade, but if you're going 2 or 4 or whatever all over, I think you got this. Invest in a cheap standing mirror that you can put beside your bathroom mirror and that will let you see the back without contorting your body all over so you can see. For my neckline I like to hit the very bottom with a #1 and it usually makes for a smooth transition to the #2 on my sides. Only do this for the bottom inch or less.

The first couple times you might stumble a little, but you'll figure out what works for you...
I found this info very helpful. Thanks Nate, I'll be looking into it.

:D

Cheers,

RR

Rande,

I've been using a set of Wahl clippers for at least 4 years now to obtain a sharp grade 1 cut.  I then remove the guard for an even closer cut to taper in my sidies and the back of my neck.  The clippers have given a consistently good quality cut that takes approx. 15 mins if I take my time.  I just stand in front of a mirror on a hard floor (sweep and then vacuum after) and work methodically.  The back of my head is done purely by feel and then use 2 mirrors to check my work.  It really is very straight forward.  After 2 cuts I was saving money too.

The set I chose is a good quality Wahl with everything included; grades 1 - 8.  After a few months I threw everything away apart from the #1 and 2 guards, the brush to clean the clippers after use and the lube.  If it doesn't infringe BoB policy I'll post a link to Amazon that'll give you the idea - if anyone can confirm that's ok?

Go for it mate, I doubt you'll regret it...

BD, Just let the damn stuff grow, when it gets long enough ya just tie it in a tail.
I can't remember the last time I had a hair cut and I don't care if people think I look
like a hippy or not.
If ya ask me there's some pretty stupid look'en people walk'en around with hair cuts nowadays.

Stick":ghz6q4gm said:
Rande,

I've been using a set of Wahl clippers for at least 4 years now to obtain a sharp grade 1 cut.  I then remove the guard for an even closer cut to taper in my sidies and the back of my neck.  The clippers have given a consistently good quality cut that takes approx. 15 mins if I take my time.  I just stand in front of a mirror on a hard floor (sweep and then vacuum after) and work methodically.  The back of my head is done purely by feel and then use 2 mirrors to check my work.  It really is very straight forward.  After 2 cuts I was saving money too.

The set I chose is a good quality Wahl with everything included; grades 1 - 8.  After a few months I threw everything away apart from the #1 and 2 guards, the brush to clean the clippers after use and the lube.  If it doesn't infringe BoB policy I'll post a link to Amazon that'll give you the idea - if anyone can confirm that's ok?

Go for it mate, I doubt you'll regret it...
Very helpful info mate. And yes, by all means post a link as it's allowed as far as I'm aware.

Cartaphilus":ghz6q4gm said:
BD, Just let the damn stuff grow, when it gets long enough ya just tie it in a tail.
I can't remember the last time I had a hair cut and I don't care if people think I look
like a hippy or not.
If ya ask me there's some pretty stupid look'en people walk'en around with hair cuts nowadays.
Ron, I had the requisite pony tail in the late 60's/early-mid 70's. Nowadays I can't stand the feeling of longer hair and would just as soon be shut of the stuff altogether. In any case I'm pretty bald on top anyways.

Getting pretty tired of messing with the beard and stash too, but that helps keep my face warm so guess I'll retain that for the time being. Hate shaving, but don't suppose beard/ stash maintenance is any worse.

:|

Cheers,

RR