Anyone cut their own hair?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewdude":ie8d0igy said:
Ron, I had the requisite pony tail in the late 60's/early-mid 70's. Nowadays I can't stand the feeling of longer hair and would just as soon be shut of the stuff altogether. In any case I'm pretty bald on top anyways.

RR
Then go for it.
Take it off...take it all off.  :twisted:

Stick made a good point on the back... for the most part you'll eventually be comfortable enough to go by feel, because you'll never be able too see back there good enough like you can the rest of your head.

Also, it'll be tempting to watch YouTube videos but I think it's a waste of time, bc you need to find what works for you, and you will. I figure, I'm just an average guy and all I need is an average haircut, and I can handle that on my own :D

Fr_Tom":ozbk5h67 said:
Cartaphilus":ozbk5h67 said:
If ya ask me there's some pretty stupid look'en people walk'en around with hair cuts nowadays.
There are some stupid people walking around too. At least the haircut is a clue.
Yeah, reckon if it walks like a duck............ ;)

Rande, my wife has been a beautician for almost 50 years and she has a lot of male clients that go to her for haircuts. The only clipper she will use is a Wahl. The one she is using now is almost 30 years old and the model she uses is still available and it cost about $60.00. :)

AJ

PS: You can pick one up at any Sally's Beauty Supply. It's a national chain that sells beauty supplies and equipment to professionals and to the public.

OK, so got in the Wahl Chrome clippers and tried it out for the first time today. Have to report it turned out pretty good for an inaugural effort.

Started out with the #4 attachment (what I've been getting at the barber) and gaining confidence I went for the #2. Kind of clumsy the first time, but it went just fine for a first attempt.

The hardest part was the back while using a hand mirror. And being as I only have one working eye it was a challenge. But I got 'er done!

Took a bit too much off around the ears and used my beard trimmer for that. But my specs hide that.

Very impressed with the Wahl so far. I'll gain more confidence going forward.

Thanks for the recommendation Stick. Got in that exact model, and it should serve me well and save me $$ going forward!

8)

Cheers,

RR

Sounds like you're off and running, Rande! You'll get better and better, too. Sure you might have a stinker here and there, but when all is said and done money saved! And once in a while you'll really impress yourself :)

Well done Rande!

As Nate said, it'll get easier. I do the back purely by feel and then use two mirrors to check my handiwork. It's hard to describe but I if I'm holding the clippers in my right hand I'll keep my ring finger just in front of the guard and use this to feel if the clippers are flat against my swede. I do multiple passes in the same area before moving across, a bit like a buffing motion. It also helps to know which way your hair grows too as the clippers will be more effective against the grain.

Stick at it mate and well done for taking the plunge - first time's a bit nervy eh?!

Stick":ljnowz7b said:
Well done Rande!

As Nate said, it'll get easier.  I do the back purely by feel and then use two mirrors to check my handiwork.  It's hard to describe but I if I'm holding the clippers in my right hand I'll keep my ring finger just in front of the guard and use this to feel if the clippers are flat against my swede.  I do multiple passes in the same area before moving across, a bit like a buffing motion.  It also helps to know which way your hair grows too as the clippers will be more effective against the grain.

Stick at it mate and well done for taking the plunge - first time's a bit nervy eh?!
Aye mate, first time is indeed a bit nervy! (Actually had the clippers for several weeks before I worked up the bottle to do it). Read the instructions several times (such as they are), and decided on my own course of action - trial by error!...Ha!

Yet I got the drill down sufficiently pretty much right away. It was just the back side which required a hand mirror whilst looking in the wall mirror with one good eye that gave me aggro!

Anyroad, it gave me confidence and I'll go from here. Had a brief final detaling today and it looks rather presentable. Don't reckon it'll elicit any shrieks of horror from women and children tomorrow , but we'll see won't we!

;)

Cheers,

RR

Just did a second trim up with the Wahl and it only took like 5 min of actual cutting to get it back into shape. Looks like it gets easier every time, and I'm quite pleased with the results. Really glad I went this route.

The barber I used to visit regularly was quite the attractive young lady and very friendly, but she talked incessantly. I nicknamed her "Chatty Cathy". She was good and I got a senior discount, but her hours were very erratic and you never knew when her shop would be open, despite the hours being plainly posted. So that, along with her mouth made me first consider this lark.

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":tez533bj said:
Just did a second trim up with the Wahl and it only took like 5 min of actual cutting to get it back into shape. Looks like it gets easier every time, and I'm quite pleased with the results. Really glad I went this route.

The barber I used to visit regularly was quite the attractive young lady and very friendly, but she talked incessantly. I nicknamed her "Chatty Cathy". She was good and I got a senior discount, but her hours were very erratic and you never knew when her shop would be open, despite the hours being plainly posted. So that, along with her mouth made me first consider this lark.

Cheers,

RR
Funny you should mention this Rande!

I was taking mine 'down to the wood' with a grade 1 yesterday and as I was chipping away the thought occurred to me that you must be due your second attempt. Well done mate, it does get easier! (I reckon you'll miss Cathy in the long run though!) ;)

Ya know it just occurred to me that the Lord gave us hair for a reason and to lop it off as Delila to Samsom seems to me to be contradictory to the whole thing. If your nose got in your way, would you lop it off too?
Just saying, and not trying to condemn anyone for what they wish to do with what belongs to them.
I was just thinking out loud shall we say. ;)
Oh! and yes I cut my nails.......sometimes. Most the time they wear away or get sanded away.

Yeah.......

flowbe11.jpg

The wife and I were just arguing about this very same topic! Because of a Wahl commercial on TV that shows firemen cutting their own hair with Wahl clippers.

I'm mostly bald, with some hair on the sides and a little on top. In the past five years, I've been letting her cut it with a #3 (winter) or a #2 (summer) guard. She never wants to cut it "it's already too short". I argue it's not short enough. This happens on every cut (about every 3 weeks.

So...watching the commercial today, I said, I should cut my own hair like those guys. Now every guy in that commercial had a good head of hair, if I had their hair, I'd look like Jesus. She said they can't cut it right around their ears.

We do have a Wahl set (and one for the dogs - she did them as well).

Over the years, I've had two humorous hair stories. 18 years ago, when I moved to our town, I had a good head of hair and went to the barber. Out tiny little town had a barber named Carl. I walked in, there were 6-7 guys waiting. Everyone was talking about the bass fishing on the Potomac. Hair cuts then were $2.50 from Carl. In hindsight, no one was talking about how they wanted their hair cut. My turn came, I started describing what I wanted, length, block, etc. Carl stopped me and said "Son, do you want it short" That's what we do here, short". I said "yes sir" and he cut it all of with a #2. When I got home, the wife gave me hell, what happened to your hair etc. Carl retired a few years later and I bounced around to a few other shops, but there was no one like old-school Carl.

Five years ago, I told the wife that she can cut both of our dogs hair, she can surely do mine and save the then $10/cut and time/trip. On the first go around, she went "oh-oh" and apparently had a slip up. I remember saying "how bad can it be?". She said bad. One of my daughters came home a short time later and said "what the hell happened to your head". I told her the her mother slipped up. She said you better get to a barber. I popped over to a shop I'd been to occasionally and the barber said "I charge more for fixing screw-ups". She did get better with no more mishaps (and now, at #2, how bad can it get, right)?

Here's what she is working with, I'm the well-fed guy on the right.

14484828_1488997984449525_2139770376635864771_n.jpg

Great stories Al and sharp hair cut! In fact, it's so sharp you could set your watch by it. The little chap on the left might want to let his grow a little though...

Al's stories reminds of one that my colleague told me many years ago. We were working at an outdoor centre in the depths of Wales and he used to drive home every other weekend to England to see his family. On this particular Friday evening he decided to stop to get his hair cut. After several villages, he finally found one with an old fashioned barber. Pete, my friend, sat in the chair and the barber asked in broken English what he'd like. Pete told him he was undecided between a grade 2 or a grade 4. The barber, so the story goes, stroked his chin for a moment before demonstrating, 'Well this is a grade 4...' and ran the clippers over his head, '...and this is a grade 2', and again ran the clippers over Pete's head.

'I guess I'll be having the 2 then', replied Pete.

It's all about communication!

The skinny chap was at my doctors office, in for for my annual checkup and the doc was running late, I got bored...