Anyone cut their own hair?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
3rd trim up went very well this past weekend. Think I finally might be onto a technique that seems to work as expected. No odd areas that needed touch-ups this time. Quite satisfied with the results.

So it seems that every 3 weeks or so is necessary to maintain a #2 cut properly. I can deal with that.

The down side is that my noggin gets cold much easier and I've taken to wearing a skull cap at home now that we're into the cooler period of the season. Small price to pay I reckon.

Cheers,

RR

Well done Rande, 3 in and you're in the swing of it. Good going.

I think I'll treat myself to a little 'polish' this weekend too.

So, happy to report the regular trims are going great. Now have the technique down such that I can do it in 10 min or so.

I've been doing a #2 so far, but will be going down to a #1 this weekend. Why you may ask? Just 'cause I can, and the stupid area on the top of my noggin seems to grow wilder than a March hare anyways. So that part always looks spiky. Best to reign that in.

Also will be looking at using the clippers on my goatee, as it's getting a bit longer than I'd like. Never tried this before, and using scissors and a hand mirror isn't producing the results. So will start with something like a #5 and go from there.

Cheers,

RR

Nicely done Rande. I'm a grade 1 all over, 'down to the wood', and then I remove the guard and taper in up the back and sides. Easy to do with a steady rolling action on the clipper's heel.

Good luck with the goatee... Shouldn't imagine it's any different to your sweed?

The deed is done, and I'm happy with the results. Haven't had my hair this short since I were a wee lad when my Pap would give me a "crew cut" every month or so. Can now see the scalp plainly and yes it's going to be chilly! But hey, summer is coming any day now! :D

Also used the #4 on the old goat and it's back to being manageable. Good to know I can run the clippers over it every so often and get it tamed. I'm getting so that I like less maintenance the older I get. ;)

Cheers,

RR

So ya, it's been a while for this thread.

Been using the #2 on my noggin every 2 weeks and can now do the back with a hand mirror. Acceptable results with one eye, even the neck. Cannot do a good taper but it's so short that a shelf (or block) is evenly proportioned. Anyhoo it works for me even though it's not perfect.

Using a #4 on the goat. This keeps the maintenance down to a minimum. Not much hand trimming.

Keeping the side facial areas clear, but only shave once/week. I'll knock down the stubble with an old Braun electric single foil weedwhacker, and then proceed to shave with an old Gillette Tracer FX. The Tracer FX is a double blade cart and it does a nice job.

Problem is that Gillette disco'd the FX and the replacement carts are now going for like 10X what they were originally. No way am I gonna pay $75 for a pack of 5 from the scalpers! Looked into Wilkinson subs, but there again they are the same do-re-mi. No cigar.

Planned obsolescence (ugh!). The FX Tracer served me perfectly for many years, but after my small supply of carts is exhausted I'll be looking into getting in something else.

And as I only shave once/wk it will not be a wet shave with a brush and a puck, skin conditioner, and all of that. Just not for me.

:mrgreen:

Cheers,

RR

I haven't had a haircut in about 2 1/2 years, and my hair is currently down to my chest. My hairline is, however, beating a steady retreat, so when the day comes, I'll likely shave my head. A friend of mine cuts his own hair using clippers and two mirrors, and has his roommate use a numbered guard to trim up the back of his neck.

Last summer I went to get a cut and they were packed. Went to another place, packed. Grabbed lunch and checked again, packed. Went to the drug store and got clippers, #2 on the side and #4 on top. Never been happier.

Topically I fired the old Wahls up tonight... #1 on top, #0.5 back and sides. Sharp, or as Pa used to say, 'you can set you watch by that haircut'.

Been using the same Oster for decades. Every 5-8 weeks, I trim down to stubble with no guard. Been doing that for decades. No hair loss at all. Minimalism.

I use a Wahl also. #2(1/4") all around. Paid for itself after the second use! Every time I cut my hair I used to give myself a $2.00 tip! Now money is tight. The dollar bills just don't flow like they used to. :cry: