Anyone have a clue about this KB&B giant????

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The pipe man

Reaction score
Hey there fellow pipers. I have a question about this big KBB pipe. Do you know what it is or called? The only markings on the pipe is the KBB in a clover stamped on the silver or nickel band but no numbers, or a specific name. I don't even have a clue on it's age although I would say 60s or earlier. I posted a few pics but the pipe so yo could kinda see the size. It also seems to be a system pipe just like a Peterson. There are two holes where the shank meets the bowl. One goes to inside the bowl the other seems to go to a nowhere which I think is like the water depository or where water and stem drain off before getting into the stem which by the way is very thick. The bowl is huge and it is carved just like a yellow bowl checker. Any info about this would really be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
IMG_20220815_172153.jpg

Jim
IMG_20220815_172121.jpg
IMG_20220815_172218.jpg
IMG_20220815_172153.jpg
IMG_20220815_172121.jpg
IMG_20220815_172218.jpg

You have a great looking pipe there Pipe Man. I think Peterson's copied those like your pipe. HaHaHa.
Here's a link from Pipepedia on the KBB's. I've always had to reference the dating on theses pipes from this website. So you know the date when they stopped stamping these but not the exact year when made.

"The KB&B briar pipe brand existed from 1900 until just after World War I (with some overlapping with the Kaywoodie from 1915 -- 1917), and collectors refer to the KB&B as a Kaywoodie transition pipe.

Also this:

The pre-Kaywoodie KB&B pipes were marked on the shank with a cloverleaf around KB&B. Some early Kaywoodies had this same marking on the shank, but the practice was dropped sometime prior to 1936. Yello-Boles also had KB&B in the leaf on the shanks, but did not have the ampersand found on Kaywoodies.

https://pipedia.org/wiki/Kaufmann_Bros._&_Bondy