Anyone have or like Rolex?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Konrad_von_Marburg

Reaction score
Anyone here have a Rolex or more than 1?

I've been looking to get another Swiss, and I like the Osyter 39s they came out with. Thoughts? Also a Breitling fan. :)

I have 3 which were bought before they started making wrist jewelry. I have my fathers 1956 Explorer, a stainless Datejust I bought in '72 and a '65 Submariner I bought in '69. All are great watches and at the time priced equal to any other quality watch at the time. Sadly at today's pricing I would not go near one especially with the variety of quality Asian watches available today. Believe it or not, Seiko and Citizen make watches EQUAL to ANYTHING Rolex makes. Remember, back in the '60s when Seiko took the top 3 places in the chronograph competition for two years, the German / Swiss organization changed the admittance rules to ONLY allow German/ Swiss manufacturers so in my mind that chronograph certified c**p they use is just that c**p :twisted:  They are good watches for sure and if you want to spend over $5,000.00 for a stainless watch go ahead!

There's a watch thread somewhere on here. If my memory serves, there are plenty of Rolexes present.

Zeno Marx":qwqya8cx said:
There's a watch thread somewhere on here.  If my memory serves, there are plenty of Rolexes present.
I thought this was the thread for watches? WHat the heck???

Konrad_von_Marburg":h43w7k05 said:
Zeno Marx":h43w7k05 said:
There's a watch thread somewhere on here.  If my memory serves, there are plenty of Rolexes present.
I thought this was the thread for watches? WHat the heck???
Could be this-

http://brothersofbriar.forumotion.com/t27141-watches

Or maybe this-

http://brothersofbriar.forumotion.com/t31258-what-watch-are-you-wearing-today

Ah, here it is-

http://brothersofbriar.forumotion.com/t22495-let-s-see-those-rolexes

HTH

Cheers,

RR

Remains an aspiration for me.

Quite like their link with adventure over the years and have noticed that National Geographic (a publication I think highly of) now has close links with the brand.

My daily wear is a poor man's version... a Seiko 5 in the style of a diver. Tremendous time-piece (I choose that phrase carefully). Its automatic movement gives it soul and it keeps excellent time, not chronometer standards, but excellent nonetheless.

Some would say I'm quite old fashioned, but I would say I enjoy some of life's finer things... I enjoy a proper watch with a mechanical movement and enjoy writing with a fountain pen.

Might have gone a bit off piste there. Whoopsie.

My old boss couldn't pay me much, but they would occasionally offer to do something very nice for me. One such offer was a Tudor watch. At the time, they were several hundred dollars, and I just could not accept such a rich gift. I'm not sorry I didn't accept it, but boy-oh-boy...I can't believe how the market for even Tudors has shot through the roof.

I paid $400 for a barely used Sea Dweller in 1978 or so. It ended up on the wrist of a friend who just had to have it, as he worked for Mel Fisher, the treasure hunter, on the search for the Atocha down in the Keys. Professional diver and all that. Served him well for a number of years, then went to hell. Glad I sold it, judging by his litany of grief trying to keep it running. It's Citizen Eco-whatever for this ol' boy. Best and most elegant watch I ever had was an Ebel, but I don't think many have heard of it. The model I had is no longer made, so screw them too.

'Nother vote here for the Citizen Eco, and my quartz Longines Dolce Vita chrono for dressier occasions...the only self winder I still own is a Seiko Bullhead chrono that I can't bring myself to dump for sentimental reasons, but it's seldom worn; my cheap watch winder doesn't do a very good job and it's just simply too much trouble to keep it "updated".  Never owned a Rolex but my buddy did; however I think it spent more time in the repair shop than on his wrist.  Or maybe it was a pawn shop; I was never sure.

Had a Daytona Chronograph that I ended up trading for a bucket list item. Still own a 70’s Heuer 3000 Automatic Chronograph made well before they became associated with TAG. I found the Heuer needed less activity on my part to keep running but since the loss of my Weimaraner, Levi, I haven’t been as active as I was, old age creeping up.
banjo

Konrad_von_Marburg":5b09kodb said:
Anyone here have a Rolex or more than 1?

I've been looking to get another Swiss, and I like the Osyter 39s they came out with. Thoughts? Also a Breitling fan. :)
I have one that cost me twenty dollars at time Square twenty tears ago.