Anyone know anything about Hi-Plane tobacco?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ontariopiper

Reaction score
This is a bit of a needle in a haystack search, so be forewarned! As part of an informal "what the heck were they smoking back then" project, I'm trying to find out the components of this vintage WWII-era blend.

So far I've found out that Hi-Plane was made by Larus & Brother, the same company of Edgeworth fame. Hi-Plane was one of their other blends around the 1940's. Lots of collectible tins out there, so there must have been a fair amount of this stuff made, but I can't find any info on the actual contents of the tins. The ad copy on the tins waxes poetic on the "especially selected" and "fully matured" leaves of "High grade", but says nothing about the tobacco varieties used. I'm assuming it was a burley blend of some kind, as it was sold as both pipe and cigarette tobacco, but it would be fun to figure out exactly what was in the blend and what made it unique from other contemporaries like Prince Albert, Holiday, etc.

If anyone out there has any info on Hi-Plane tobacco, I'd appreciate the share.

Since it was advertised as "for pipes and cigarettes" it probably was predominately va's would be my guess. :twisted:

monbla256":y6dcuic8 said:
Since it was advertised as "for pipes and cigarettes" it probably was predominately va's would be my guess. :twisted:
Given the nature of ciggies, wouldn't this be more Burley predominant?

Disclaimer - I know basically nothing about cigs. But that's my understanding.

:?:

Cheers,

RR