Anyone Know where to find Smyrna Tobacco?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slowroll

Reaction score
Hello all-- While playing around blending, I've found that Smyrna is one of the keys to a good Balkan Blend. Unfortunately, the only source I found for blending Smyrna is the P&C blending tobacco offers, and they're out for who knows how long. I know McClelland has Smyrna #1, but thats a blend itself, and it's a bit dear for a blending tobacco. Anyone know who might sell the stuff straight?

I don't think so. It's been said that it is, but I believe they're 2 different leaves from what I've read. I have 2 kinds of Izmir, and they do smoke and smell differently from the smyrna.

From Milton M. Sherman's "All About Tobacco":

"The major groups of aromatic Turkish tobaccos, as stated by Frederick A. Wolf, of Duke University, are:
1. Xanthi
2. Kavalla
3. Smyrna or Izmir
4. Samsun

Each group derives its name from the city or production center from which it comes, and within each group, there are numerous varieties. The exact identities of each type of Turkish tobacco are further complicated by the fact that similar tobaccos can be obtained from geographically different regions; and yet in a single region, more than one type of tobacco may be grown.

It should be pointed out that because of the shifting population in the Macedonian areas due to wars and changes among the ruling factions, the peoples of Greece and Turkey immigrated to new areas and set up communities named after those they left. Therefore, there is much similarity in the names of cities and towns in both Greece and Turkey -- names that also refer to the tobaccos they produce."

BH sez...I've always heard that whether a tobacco is Smyrna or Izmir depends on where the same species is grown...Greece or Turkey. And depending on which hillside it was grown two piles of Izmir might look and taste different from each other. So supplier A's stuff could be different than supplier B's.

You might call C&D or Peretti's, etc. and ask about sources. Just a thought.

Well, Blackhorse, theabove would explain why thr izmirs I have are noticably different from the smyrna i have. I'll take your suggestion and call the above. I'm not expcting a lot as a common everyday consumer, but it's worth a shot.

Mark Ryan. I think I got a pound bag a couple Chicago shows ago from him. But God only knows what I have done with it. I'll keep an eye peeled.

OK, checked my log books, and is is what I know from personal experience.....

Smyrna and Izmir are indeed the same strain of plant, but because of regional environmental differences they adopt their own personalities. I have occasionally been confused by the two and suspected mislabeling at times. Over all, if there were issues with getting the desired effect from previous iterations of behaviours, adding the smallest amount of Xanthi(Yenidji) can brighten up an otherwise dull taste from Smyrna that came off as Izmir. Also, I've found that the gentlest stoving can have the same effect. A gentlemen I consult that deals in Mediterranean tobaccos also suggested the practice of poor finished products from particular annual yields will cause growers and brokers to blends different growers' products and sell them as 'X'. As Izmir is grown more than other orientals, it doesn't happen as often to that type. Overall, these strains of tobacco are small producers, so the incentive to grow are less than favorable than say to food products. I myself have grown some Oriental varieties and they turned out quite different than what I buy through leaf dealers that get me the overseas goods.

Maybe P&C will get more in stock for you, perhaps dropping a line to Russ will get things rolling. Otherwise I would try wholeleaf. Com, or Leaf only.com.

Here's a suggestion you might find helpful

http://wholeleaftobacco.com/Turkish-Oriental-Prilep-Prilep.htm

Sounds like Smyrna to me!

Good hunting!