Anyone live in/near Springfield, Mo?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thedeep

Reaction score
Trying to get out of Indiana and thinking about the Springfield area. Spent time there in the late 70's-early 80's. Dad had a place at Mansfield. It has grown considerably since then. What's good about the area? What's bad? Comments.

Been by there. You thinking about moving, or touristy stuff? It's been a few years, but I can recommend visiting both Hermann, MO, and Eureka Springs, AR.

We are looking for a home. Wife says I can't take any offers from anywhere colder than here. So, I am looking south of here. I can go west as far as Arkansas and east to the ocean. But, have looked most closely at TN. I am actually a MO native. So, it would be, sort of like, going home. Looking for hunting and fishing for me and good gardening for both of us.

Missouri in general is great. We live in Kansas but bought property in MO and intend to move, spend most weekends there now. We are about an hour north of Springfield but have not specifically gone down there in a while, I pass through pretty often on business and usually stop for lunch or a visit to the Grizzly tool outlet - good place to drop a lot of $$ if you are into that sort of thing. Of course it is also home to Bass Pro.

Springfield area is in the storm belt so you can figure on wild storms in the spring time and a surprising lot of snow in the winter, what starts in OK ends up going through Springfield. You are in the heart of the Ozark's so you get all the good and bad, great hunting and fishing, great attitude toward an outdoor lifestyle, but then you have Branson and all the touristy stuff to put up with. This includes a good bit of traffic especially in the summer months. Lake of the Ozarks is only an hour away, along with Table Rock, Bull Shoals and the other army corp lakes in AR. The southern half of MO is rocky with thin topsoil, I am sure you can grow a garden but it won't be the same as you are used to in Indiana.

You could certainly pick a worse place to move to.