Anyone seen anything on Netflix worth watching?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
American Experience: The Poisoner's Handbook.

An outstanding documentary. I highly recommend it. If you have an interest in history, true crime, forensics then it's for you. I suspect that's a lot of us.

koolickle":awrh8ewf said:
I like the BBC show, Doc Martin. Good British humor.
I say old chap, I think you're bang on, what? Tremendous fun, set in the West Country (Port Isaac, Cornwall if anyone is interested), the part of the world where I grew up.

Some great suggestions there boys and gal.

Assuming that Netflix in the States is the same as in Blighty, here's mine...

Maidentrip:

The true story of a 14 year Dutch girl Laura Dekker who decides at the age of 12 she is going to sail solo around the world. The story attracted much media attention, initially not due to her aspirations, but because her family came under scrutiny for not acting responsibly (easy to judge when one doesn't have full understanding). The film is wonderfully made with of course all the footage at sea shot by Laura herself.

In an epoch where teenagers are often criticised for undesirable traits and anti social behaviours, this film serves as a timely and refreshing reminder of, given the right circumstances, the potential of the youth of today. Inspiring viewing.

Beasts of no nation:

Caught up in an African civil war, a young boy named Agu witnesses his father being executed, his brother shot whilst trying to evade capture and his mother fleeing to an unknown location for safety. Now on the run and alone the in the world Agu is found and trained by a rebel faction who employ guerrilla tactics to overthrow the government forces responsible for the wide scale devastation and in doing so Agu becomes embroiled within the atrocities.

Shocking, thought provoking, upsetting and brilliantly written, if you're a father of a young son like me this may make for challenging viewing. For the fans of Luther (also on Netflix), Idris Elba puts in a fine performance.

skaukatt":hogw6nlm said:
Breaking Bad, you won't be sorry!!!
I watched that one live from Day One. Of my top tv series of all time, perhaps the top.

riff raff":7xvuw2ec said:
skaukatt":7xvuw2ec said:
Breaking Bad, you won't be sorry!!!
I watched that one live from Day One. Of my top tv series of all time, perhaps the top.  
Absolutely agree, perhaps the best of all time IMHO. Like Simple man, I binged watched over a few weeks last spring right after hockey season ended.

Great show, couldn't get enough of it. Watched it all over a second time just prior to this hockey season!

I also agree that House of Cards is another must see series.

Lou

Netflix original Narcos. There are a lot of good movies on instant play right now. Lawrence of Arabia is on instant play right now. Amadeus, Sunset Boulevard, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Gonzo: The Life and Work of Dr Hunter S Thompson (good doc on Hunter Thompson), Pulp Fiction, Trainspotting, Big Fish.

Lone Survivor.

Take one true story, 4 Navy Seals, a compromised mission and you have some very compelling viewing.

Re: Operation Red Wings. (Lone Survivor)  Lutrell tells quite the story, does he not?
Regardless, It was more than 4 men on a mountain..
My prayer is that God gave these men rest, and bestowed some measure of peace upon their families.
Lt Michael P Murphy
SO2  Matthew Axleson
SO2 Danny Dietz
SOC Jacques J Fontan
SOCS Daniel R Healy
LCDR Erik S Kristenson
SO1 Jeffry A Lucas
Lt Michael M McGreevy Jr
SO2 James E Suh
SO1 Jeffery S Taylor
SO2 Shane E Patton
SSG Shamis O Goare
CWO3 Corey J Goodnature
SGT Kip A Jacoby
SFC Marcus V Muralles
MSG James W. Ponder III
Maj Stephen C Reich
SFC Michael L Russell
CWO4 Chris J Scherkenbach

In no particular order:
  • Michael Kitchen is superb in Foyle's War.
  • The Admiral: Roaring Currents is mind-blowing, especially for the fact that it's a true story. Superbly done with gorgeous cinematography.
  • Joss Whedon's Firefly is unlike anything else, ever. It's funny, brilliant, quirky, thrilling, surprising. It's a shame it only ran for one season, but its following is still growing. Also check out the follow-up movie, Serenity...but watch the Firefly series first.
  • Midsomer Murders is first rate. Any series that runs for 17 seasons is going to go through some changes, but Midsomer had remained solid throughout.
  • The Assets is a true story about a Soviet mole in the CIA. It's not flashy, so it takes a while to get into it. But it's well worth it.
  • Skinwalkers: The Navajo Mysteries is based on the Tony Hillerman novels, and he approved the scripts. The spectacular scenery of Navajo country with great stories. I wish they had made more of them.
  • Columbo - The classic series starring Peter Falk. Even if you saw it back in the '70s and '80s, it's worth watching again.
  • Star Trek: The Next Generation - The Star Trek franchise peaked with this series. Creative stories, excellent writing, and fascinating characters. Even the first two seasons, which got off to a rocky start, had some phenomenal stuff.
  • Unforgiven - For Clint Eastwood fans; won Oscars for Best Picture, Best Director (Clint), and Best Supporting Actor (Gene Hackman). Awesome flick.
...for starters. :mrgreen:

newjok10.png

Season two of Daredevil has started out pretty okay. ?

House of cards season whatever is kinda okay but so far is a decline in previous efforts.

I have cut back on Netflix watching, I discovered I qualify for HBO GO and have been watching some movies via that outlet.

puros_bran":rfpkeitx said:
Re: Operation Red Wings. (Lone Survivor)  Lutrell tells quite the story, does he not?
Regardless, It was more than 4 men on a mountain..
My prayer is that God gave these men rest, and bestowed some measure of peace upon their families.
Lt Michael P Murphy
SO2  Matthew Axleson
SO2 Danny Dietz
SOC Jacques J Fontan
SOCS Daniel R Healy
LCDR Erik S Kristenson
SO1 Jeffry A Lucas
Lt Michael M McGreevy Jr
SO2 James E Suh
SO1 Jeffery S Taylor
SO2 Shane E Patton
SSG Shamis O Goare
CWO3 Corey J Goodnature
SGT Kip A Jacoby
SFC Marcus V Muralles
MSG James W. Ponder III
Maj Stephen C Reich
SFC Michael L Russell
CWO4 Chris J Scherkenbach
Yup, good point PB.

It may be of interest for some that Lutrell made a few cameo appearances during the film.

The first was in the compound at the start of the film just after the two fellas got back from their run. Lutrell was the chap who knocked the coffee off the table and made a quip.

The second time was when the 2 chinooks came to recover the 4 Seals. As the RPG entered the ac Lutrell had a close up looking straight into the camera. The others in the ac were also serving Seals who made an appearance out of respect for those listed above.

I believe he was also in the audience for when the newby had to do his initiation performance.

I come and go with Netflix, HBO and ShowTime I've really enjoyed the Norwegian series Occupied and Heavy Water War and the BBC(?) The Fall and Happy Valley.
Better Call Saul and house of card were pretty good and spectacular viewing in 4k UHDTV. And on Showtime (free trial) Homeland was another good season.
I'm thinking about doing another trial of Amazon to power watch Bosch. :shock:

daveinlax":as0h6q83 said:
...Occupied and Heavy Water War and the BBC(?) The Fall and Happy Valley....  
daveinlax: Oh yeah...I forgot about Heavy Water War. Good stuff. I haven’t seen Occupied, The Fall, or Happy Valley. I’ll check ‘em out. Thanks!

newjok10.png

Vito":34xkflvk said:
daveinlax":34xkflvk said:
...Occupied and Heavy Water War and the BBC(?) The Fall and Happy Valley....  
daveinlax: Oh yeah...I forgot about Heavy Water War. Good stuff. I haven’t seen Occupied, The Fall, or Happy Valley. I’ll check ‘em out. Thanks!

newjok10.png
Occupied is subtitled but the interactions with the Russians are in English but I really enjoyed and highly recommend that show. The Fall and Happy Valley are police serial dramas with female leads. :shock:

daveinlax":99l7ztxn said:
Occupied is subtitled but the interactions with the Russians are in English but I really enjoyed and highly recommend that show. The Fall and Happy Valley are police serial dramas with female leads.   :shock:
Subtitles don’t bother me at all. I watch plenty of foreign productions, some of which are superb. Folks who are bothered by subtitles are missing some great stuff.

Female leads don’t bother me either. In fact, I’m generally quite fond of de wimmen folk...well, unless they’re running for political office. Same for de men folk. :mrgreen:

newjok10.png

House, M.D. is fascinating. I've been binge-watching it during my current self-imposed vacation (decompression after finishing a multi-year project that took about 110% of my focus).

According to the show's creator, it's Sherlock Holmes in a medical context, with Gregory House (Hugh Laurie) as Holmes and James Wilson (Robert Sean Leonard) as Watson...sort of. The correlation isn't strictly consistent, but it's close enough to be unmistakable.

There are borderline soap-opera-ish aspects in some of the secondary story arcs, but (mercifully) they're restrained enough to never get cheesy...at least so far. I'm a little more than halfway through Season 2. The series had 177 episodes in eight seasons (2004 to 2012), during which it earned many nominations/awards. I can see why. It's well worth watching.

newjok10.png