Anyone smoked a pipe made from ...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tslots

Reaction score
Chicken Wing Wood??

"My tobacco is tender and juicy with hints of 11 secret herbs and spices"

Also, there's definitely something lost in translation on those Special Instructions ...

I didn't get any shooting rays on my human computer monitor... :scratch:

I was gonna say "chingrish at its best", but that's not even chingrish! that's just "put a dictionary through a paper shredder and see what words come out intact"

what kind of wood do you think it actually is? probably the pressed remnants of that dictionary and a vinyl sticker to hold it together..

He's probably using an online translator.
They usually botch the meanings of things.

DoverPipes":9b39yapn said:
He's probably using an online translator.
They usually botch the meanings of things.
I think you´re probably right about that Dover. The more removed from English be the language the more bizarre the translations tend to be. Chinese is about as far removed as China! LOL

It is funny- kind of like those Iphone auto correct posts.

I believe that chicken wing wood is what they call wenge wood in China. It is very hard and heavy and comes from the tropics. Used in imported flooring quite a bit.

lowflyingpenguin":5h2iodx0 said:
I believe that chicken wing wood is what they call wenge wood in China. It is very hard and heavy and comes from the tropics. Used in imported flooring quite a bit.
I thought wenge was an African wood. I mean I suppose they could just as easily ship to china....

SouthernPiper":g2nz1zb4 said:
lowflyingpenguin":g2nz1zb4 said:
I thought wenge was an African wood. I mean I suppose they could just as easily ship to china....
It is from Africa but I know that it is used by some guitar manufacturers for various purposes. Ibanez in Japan uses it in some of their 5 ply necks on some models. I expect that most hardwoods such as this and mahogany are imported into China as well as Japan.

That does look like wenge. Wenge causes major allergic reactions in some individuals. Probably not the best choice for a pipe. China imports all kinds of wood from endangered species of trees. They really don't care about the environmental impact of deforestation in Africa out there.

PipeDreams":l8t6utxz said:
That does look like wenge. Wenge causes major allergic reactions in some individuals. Probably not the best choice for a pipe. China imports all kinds of wood from endangered species of trees. They really don't care about the environmental impact of deforestation in Africa out there.
I'm sure few countries in the 19th and 20th centuries (the US included) stopped to worry about environmental impact as their economies were developing, but now that the damage has been done (mainly by us), it's hard to reconcile the type of consumption of endangered species of plants and animals that seems to be taking place in China. And why is a panda more valuable than endangered tigers, sharks or turtles?

China is well aware what the consequences of importing wood from critically endangered species are: they just don't particularly care since it's not their house. It's actually part of Chinese culture: care about your own. Nobody else matters. Causes all kinds of problems and to me, is one of the worst things about living in Hong Kong. If you're part of the in-group, however, Chinese people will treat you like gold. There are of course exceptions to this rule, but it is very much how Chinese society works.

PipeDreams":2z9wv6hw said:
China is well aware what the consequences of importing wood from critically endangered species are: they just don't particularly care since it's not their house. It's actually part of Chinese culture: care about your own. Nobody else matters. Causes all kinds of problems and to me, is one of the worst things about living in Hong Kong. If you're part of the in-group, however, Chinese people will treat you like gold. There are of course exceptions to this rule, but it is very much how Chinese society works.
I think they should be at your door right about..............NOW!
PS: Hiding under the bed doesn't work.

The beauty of living in HK is we can (still) say whatever we want here. ;) We have a different government, currency and legal system. We're a stone's throw from China, and you can instantly see the difference when you cross the border!

Chinese Chicken Wing Wood, or Jichimu (the literal translation) is considered a hardwood by Chinese standards, which differ from most of the world's. In fact it is s softer, very porous wood of two varieties: the old and the new. The old type is the quality kind found in antique furniture dating to the Ming Dynasty (1388-1644). It is characterized by reddish, feathery lines that resemble chicken or pheasant wings, hence the nicknames chicken wing or phoenix tail wood, and which change colors depending on the angle of view or the lighting. I had two Churchwardens that were virtual twins made of this spectacular wood prized as the #3 most valued wood for antique furniture in China. The new variety is coarse, darker, dense and brittle, therefore not appropriate for fine woodworking. Because both of the bowls were covered with a nasty shellack and the stems on them were cheap plastic, they broke before I even realized the prizes I had stumbled upon. Not until I stripped away the offensive coatings and with a good friend restored both pipes did I learn of their true smoking quality. However, all or at least most of the pipes represented by such sites as eBay to be Chinese Chicken Wing Wood are in fact Wenge, a north and central African wood with similar patterns of grain but reported toxicity problems and far lesser durability. If you are members of the Smokers Forums you can view the pipe I kept (I gave the second to a young lady in my local pipe club who loves churches) or see Steve Laug's beautiful Two Brothers of Beijing Chinese Chicken Wing Wood pipe at the following link:

Reborn Pipes

And watch for my upcoming guest blog on the restoration of my two pipes on Steve's blog.