Anyone want to send me some fruitcake?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tarheel7734

Reaction score
Lol. I love fruitcake and cant find it anywhere near me and the online shops are quite expensive for not a lot. So anyone want to send me some? I could trade some baccy. I am not sure why I cant find any, but been to all the stores and no one has any. Who all loves fruitcake and where do you get it?

tarheel7734":zepe8ppj said:
Lol. I love fruitcake and cant find it anywhere near me and the online shops are quite expensive for not a lot. So anyone want to send me some? I could trade some baccy. I am not sure why I cant find any, but been to all the stores and no one has any. Who all loves fruitcake and where do you get it?
With the cheap gas we have now in Texas it's time for you to take a road trip to Corsicana this weekend, to the Collins St. Bakerey!! THE place for the ORIGINAL fruitcake still made in TEXAS !!! :twisted: :twisted:  Here's their website: https://www.collinstreet.com/pages/fall-12-home  :twisted: :twisted: It's a 2 1/2 hour drive you can do a bowl of some good ketchup each way !! :twisted: :twisted:

I've heard a lot in my time but, someone who actually EATS fruitcake?
That's the first for me, granted it has many uses, doorstops, paperweights, rat poison,
and above all something to give your in-laws for Christmas but, to actually eat it.
I tried it once, couldn't get it out of my mouth quick enough. Tasted like cheap rum flavored
play-do and had the same consistency as hard rubber.  

Ahh, fruitcake!
Hard to find nowadays, especially really good fruitcake.
Much like mince meat pie. "Oh I don't like that!".."Ever try it?"..."No because it has meat in it!"...I guess they don't eat chicken pot pie either...Apple pie with raisins, cinnamon, lemon juice, etc...good stuff!!!
Probably just bad press from the left-leaning media warping our children's brains.
It's not like tripe soup, or tongue sandwich, or scrapple, or head cheese....

I "hated" fruitcake since childhood--until I finally tasted it. It's actually very good if fresh. The stuff that's from the back of a closet that's been there for a decade or two then gifted to someone might be a touch nasty. I had an uncle who sent it to everyone at Christmas--but then, who didn't?

I have to say I love the stuff. My granny used to make the best fruitcake.

My wife used to make it, and it was very good, but then my MIL started giving us one she made every year. I am the only one in the house that eats it (except for the one year the dog at an entire one gold foil wrapper, cheesecloth and all). My wife quit making them, since really one fruitcake a year is enough for even me...

I love fruitcake! But then a lot of folks think I'm not right anyway.

There are a number of places that claim to be home to the original fruitcake in the US, including the Claxton bakery in Georgia. The one someone sent me last Christmas was from there and I really liked it a lot. Unfortunately I don't know anyone who actually makes the stuff from scratch but I'll bet I'd enjoy it.

RobJ":817jhqrm said:
I love fruitcake! But then a lot of folks think I'm not right anyway.

There are a number of places that claim to be home to the original fruitcake in the US, including the Claxton bakery in Georgia. The one someone sent me last Christmas was from there and I really liked it a lot. Unfortunately I don't know anyone who actually makes the stuff from scratch but I'll bet I'd enjoy it.
The Claxton is good and if I did not have homemade, I would probably buy one. In Indiana, I have seen the Claxton at Walmart.

Fruitcake is delicious! I can pick up Claxton anywhere, living in Georgia as I do, but I've been pondering ordering a 2lb cake from the Monastery in Conyers. If I do, I better do it soon, time is running out to get it before Christmas. I just hate to spend the extra money right now, being so close to Christmas.

Monastery of the Holy Spirit in Conyers has the best that I ever tried. Here's a link... http://www.holyspiritmonasterygifts.com/Fruitcake/products/4/

Gotta love a Monastery with its own website!

I'm going to order one from them and one from Claxton just in case no one sends me one for Christmas. Just hedging my bet.

:lol!:

RobJ":gfo13cuc said:
Gotta love a Monastery with its own website!

I'm going to order one from them and one from Claxton just in case no one sends me one for Christmas. Just hedging my bet.

:lol!:
I hear ya'. :lol:

I've been down there a few times and the gents working in the store and giving tours are really a great bunch of guys. They have a lot of volunteers to help run things and I think they even employ a few people in the store.

Their fruitcake is really good though... I will probably breakdown and order some before the end of the day. :lol:

I've had some from that Claxton Bakery that a cousin who lived in Atlanata sent me one year. wasn't bad but my family used to take a 45 minute trip to Corsicana every Friday after Thanksgiving and go to the Collins St. Bakery and get our fruitcake. Did this from the time i was around 5 till bout 4 years ago so for me Fruitcake comes from one place , Corsicana , Texas !! :twisted: :twisted:

Fruitcake is great. :fpalm: When I run out of suet for the birds I just tack on a tree and let them enjoy it.

My mom doesn't always make fruit cake but when she does, whoa Nelly! It is dangerously good. None of that dried out gak with chewy bits of garishly colored WTHE, stuff you get from some stores. Nope, hers is a wonderful conglomeration of quality ingredients (she won't share the recipe but I know it has raisins, bits of dried fruit, some nuts I think and a whole lot of love) , expertly assembled and baked two months ahead of time, then wrapped for storage. Every other day or so, she unwraps them and paints the tops with brandy, then back into storage they go. When she finally brings them out and serves them, (one for Christmas and one for new years eve) not only are they magically delicious:drunken: , but I can eat a 4oz slice and magically gain two pounds. If I eat two slices I lose my car keys and sleep on the couch.

I like fruitcake too, and can see there's no shortage of them on this thread. Just kidding.

DWT":e7nd5q8o said:
I like fruitcake too, and can see there's no shortage of them on this thread.   Just kidding.
This thread?! This one is relatively sane. Can you imagine a "civilian" reading some of the others?