Appointment with the Vet

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slow Puffs

Reaction score
I just got notice that the yearly "check-up" is due. Fortunately for us, our American Cocker hasn't been too expensive. I expect about $200 a year for various needles on top of the usual check-up. I've known people where I live (Alberta) that have actually carried medical insurance because they encounter yearly bills of over $1,000.00. Has this ever happened to you?

And yes they are part of the family :D !

I have a little fat cat that loves string. Cost me $1964.00 to have him opened up and the string removed from his intestines. Needless to say, I got pretty miffed at the ex for leaving her sewing room door open.

Have 2 somewhat elderly felines (pixi-bobs), aged 15 and 13 respectively. Each yearly visit they want to do a complete panel on all functions to the tune of about $500 all in.

Being as they're both healthy as a fart, I've done just the basics which cuts the cost in about half. And the bloodwork alone will alert the vet to any untoward issues.

At the same time I clearly understand the needs of an ageing pet are going to be more expensive, and at some time their quality of life needs to be evaluated. Been there too many times before.

There is pet insurance available to me as well, but haven't felt the need to seriously consider it.

And yes they are my "family" as it were.

Cheers,

RR

I have the cutest tabby cat ever and he has a disease called Feline lower urinary tract disease (FLUTD). I took him to the vet When he first showed signs. Of course he got sick Saturday afternoon and I had to worry myself sick all weekend. He wouldn't come out from under the shelves, was in a lot of pain and was very sick.
Well $1200 later I have a happy healthy kitty cat! He now has to have outlandishly expensive C/D diet food. C/D cat food has the medication he needs to stay healthy so there is really no alternative and at around $80 a med bag (about half a 5 gallon bucket worth) he is a very expensive kitty.
He is also the best cat I have ever had in my 35 years. He doesn't scratch things he isn't suppose to, he never knocks things over, never a messy cat, not a smelly cat, and he is just so darn cute. So in the end he is totally worth the minor expenses.

You should also know that making a post about your pet just makes me do this....

Cutest kitty ever!!!

I have 4 puddy tats and it averages around $100.00 per a year for vet bills so far and is worth EVERY bit of it! They range in age from 2 yrs to 8 and all are feral kittehs I have tamed and brought into the house. Don't know how I'd do without 'em :p :p

:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

:face:

In amongst the people medical bills that exploded over the last 9 months, the high-class rat (a chinchilla) named Hazumi has cost us probably more than $1,000 in that time due to...tooth spurs. :x :x :x :no: I'm going to make earmuffs out of her eventually. :heart: :twisted:

Do any of you have pet health insurance? If so do you think it's worth it?

When we had dogs, we spent $20 per visit, check up or shot and we never used insurance.

Wish I could get one now

Bad luck at the Vet appointment :( . Our cocker spaniel started to limp just a few days before his appoinment this morning. He's got bad swelling around knee on the right hind leg. Busted ALC :roll: . It will be a long recovery, perhaps surgery and lots of TCL... Told to wait a month or so and keep him quiet :silent: to see if it improves.

My Shisha isn't bad. She has allergies, and her eyes get really irritated, and she rubs at em, and scoots her face along the carpet (Slightly amusing). We got eye drops for her. I don't think I'd get pet insurance though, The vet said, she's one of the healthiest apartment pets he's seen. (I walk her every day, we play fetch, she likes to swim, long hikes, and she loves sitting on my porch while I have a pipe).

She's a good girl. Tried to play with a little box turtle today on our walk.
Zach

Our tomcat had an eye removed to keep an infection from spreading to the brain, then was hit by a truck... that was before we got him.

Now, with his nice sheltered life, blammo, chronic urinary act blockage... four days inpatient, indwelling cath, poor kitty, poor wallet. We definitely crossed the line where insurance would have saved us money. But he is well, with the occasional painkiller shot.