• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Brothers of Briar and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Appraisal and Selling Help

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello folks,

I am wondering if I could enlist the help of some of you who are far more knowledgeable than I for some information on pipes I wish to sell. Truth be told I am a bent-stem type of guy and over the years I’ve accumulated a number of pipes through lots I’ve purchased because I wanted 1 or 2 pipes in the lot and the rest just piggy back into my possession on the order.

I have about a dozen pipes I’d like to unload. I’m wondering if any of you would be kind enough to help me know what I got and what I should sell for, and any resources for where to sell.

Any help is appreciated!

Well, I'm sure there are others here who know far better than I, but until somebody else pipes up with some solid info here's my take . . .

There is no easy way about this - will require either a physical inspection by somebody who knows what they are doing, or a "virtual" inspection that will require numerous quality photos showing condition, possible fills, teeth chatter, etc. and a caliber to take measurements of length, chamber diameter, etc. I know from my own buying habits that I never buy from an online retailer or eBay if there is only one photo and only a general description. This requires a lot of work on the seller's part and may not be worth it unless you've got some high-value pipes, or brands with ready recognition (like Peterson or Savinelli).

I've got a few pipes myself that no longer suit my needs. Nearest B&M only looks at high-end pre-owned Dunhill or Castello. local Pawn Shop only offers a flat rate of five bucks a pipe, so I've thought about posting them here in the Trade and Sell section, or packing them off to Smoking Pipes for an evaluation. But I have nothing of really high resale value.

Good Luck, let us know how things go! :)

Post some pics, a few at a time. Anyone interested in a specific pipe can pm you for additional pics/info.

When I croak, my daughters will gather all my pipes (70+), whether Castello, Don Carlos, Ashton, or cobs and toss them in a box on a table on my lawn for a buck a pipe. Because I'll be dead, I won't care, even when buyers whisper to each other, "You'd have thought the guy would have made notes about the value of each pipe." My daughters will undoubtedly say to each other, "I can't believe anyone bought these things. Daddy probably slobbered in them and they stink."

Post some pics, a few at a time. Anyone interested in a specific pipe can pm you for additional pics/info.

Please understand that this section is a store. It is for selling items. When selling the seller is required to list the item and a specific price. After that any and all negotiations of specifics of a deal are to be done via PM only.

Can someone posts pics of a pipe in order to get offers? No. Period. You need to come up with a price somewhere other than via posting stuff here in The Trading Post. You might try the pipes section. Other than that, Jesse at Blue Room Briars might be able to help. And since that’s a business I expect professional advice shouldn’t be free. But Jesse is a member here and a straight shooter. I’ve done business with him before and trust him implicitly.

BlackHorse is correct about not seeking appraisals via the forum, but in my case Ranger did give me a good idea. The thought of taking multiple pictures in good light and posting them all has always been a deal breaker for me . . . all that work upfront wasted if there is no interest. But I may try posting a few pipes this weekend, one pic each, and if anybody is interested then that will be sufficient motivation to take and post more pictures. I already know my price points based on SP paying about 1/3 of what the current market rate is. So if a pre-owned Pete sells for $65 on eBay I'll probably list it for about $25 here including shipping. We'll see . . .

Thanks for all the feedback people. So, you’d say it’s a dead end here in this forum?

If you are trying to sell all your pipes at one time contact Steve Fallon aka Pipestud. He can help you.

Kind of late on this thread, but...
Suggest you go on Ebay and see what similar pipes are going for. Loads of briars (under the 'estate' listing) so you should find something close. 'Course, your mileage may vary!
Just a thought
T

I second Blackhorse's suggestion, send your pipes to Jesse at Blueroom Briars, he will be straight up with you and is a lovely gentleman to deal with.