arcadia mixture tin from 1893

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vaperfavour

Reaction score
i have in my possession a tin of arcadia mixture from the surbrug makers company, the tin has quotes from the immortal book, little scenes of a man leaning back into his chair blowing out smoke. on the back of the tin the description of the tobacco is as follows: a combination of the finest turkish, perique, latakia, virginia, and light pressed flaked sun cured tobaccos. under the description, factory no. 4 2nd district, va. there is a notice that the manufacturers of this tobacco have complied with the requirements of the law every person is cautioned under the penalties of law not to use this package for tobacco again. under that surbrug makers new york. there is a blue tax stamp of some kind with the numbers 3 and one third. the tin top is round and there is writing wich is hard to make out but worlds fair '93 is very legible. now for the provenance! in 1996 my family demolished an old family house in chicago. the workers found a hidden room behind what i presume was my great great grandfathers study. they found an old black safe. my aunts who were over seeing the project were all excited that there could be untold monies or stocks and bonds maybe even jewels in there. they hired a safecracker to open it. we were all anxious( my two brothers, two cousins an aunt, my mother and my grandfather) the safe cracker popped it open and....... no monies or jewels!!!!! what was in there? an old webley pistol, a photo of good looking woman, no one in my family!!! this tin of tobacco an old black clay pipe wich disintegrated when my aunt touched it some miscellaneous papers a gold ring we traced to oxford university( we are french, not english) and a gold coin. needless to say my family was rather let down. i had just started to smoke a pipe back then( i was 25 at the time) so they gave me the tin. now at this time i had just read j.m. barries immortal book not three months before!!! imagine my very quiet elation! i took it home called my good friend keith alsdo a pipesmoker and we looked at the tin with awe. i shook the tin to show him that there still was tobacco left in it, though the blue ribbon was broken what a chance, to smoke the real arcadia mixture! i poped the tin open and voila!!!! there was about two very small bowl fulls left. we looked at the tobacco it was dry but you could still smell the tobacco! right away the latakia wafted up from the tin. now my friend and i are not fond of latakia, but history had chosen us to partake of lady nicotias forgotten stash so we loaded the bowls we had chosen and much to our surprise it wasnt bad!!! not too heavy on latakia but it was dry and tasted a little musty. there is a pinch or two of it left and i told mr. pease about it and told him i will bring the tin to chicago to show him maybe he can do something with the remaining tobacco! by the way my grand fathers life long friend and pipesmoker saw the tin some months after finding it, inspected it and proceded to offer me a thousand dollars cash for it!!!!! i refused. if i can figure out how to take a picture of it, upload it to my computer and then download it to here, i will. iam new to the computer. if anyone has solid info on this tin please let us all know. :pipe:

115 year old tobacco not hermetically sealed is smokable while the pipe that smoked it crumbled to dust.
That is a good story. Not very believable,but a good story none the less

that is the very picture on the tin, yet the tin is labeled the arcadia mixture. and yes the tobacco was smokable, dry as a bone and not very good but smokable! the clay pipe crumbled into 4 pieces, not like it was in a desert, we also dont know how long the tin was in the safe. the safecracker said it looked to be from the twentys, something about the mechanism. the picture was very old.

14_of_17.jpg

sorry bout the image resolution, its off my phon
e! here's another.not working again!!! :evil: :evil:

vaperfavour":jns6ky3o said:
What kind of tags?? How do i get them?
If you do an edit of the one with the pic in it. Or a Quote. You will see your URL with img in brackets on one end and /img in brackets on the other end. That tells the board software it's an image. And instead of just showing the URL for people to click on, it shows the picture. Those are often called tags.

Keep in mind I am not an expert. But that's all it took to make it work.

When you are in a reply window, there should be two rows of small icons just above the text box. If you have tool tips turned on, when you move your cursor over them, the format is displayed. The one under the B for bold is the Image inserter icon.