Are bigger pipes gurglier?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dooder

Reaction score
I'm building up my collection and have a pretty decent assortment of shapes and sizes now. Of all the pipes I have there are two in particular that smoke quite differently. Both are larger pipes, one is a Boswell reverse plateaux and the other is a Wiley freehand. They both are larger, and have bent stems that are very similar in size and shape. Both of these pipes smoke a lot wetter than any other pipe that I have...perhpaps I should not say they "smoke wetter" because the chamber isn't gurgling it's the stems. It doesn't take much more than a couple minutes and I have to take the stem off and blow out the juice.

I'm wondering if this is condensation build up or saliva? I do not have this issue with any of my other smaller pipes that I smoke hotter and with a faster cadence. I wonder if they need a different stem or something? Let me know what you think.

It doesn't matter what I load it with, it can be an English blend or an aromatic and they will both exhibit this finding.

I've been smoking A pipe for a while, building my collection wasn't a doable thing for the past 20 years so I'm not new to my pipe, but new to how other pipes smoke. Thanks for your replies guys!

Not in my experience. Just fill it with a light hand. I have several large pipes and they do not gurgle as long as i  do not fill them tight. I smoke rather dry tobacco and mainly straight pipes.  Are your pipes bent and you feed them with rather wet tobacco?.

I have never experienced gurgle as a function of size. I think something else is going on like drilling or the design of the stems. I have never smoked a Boswell or a Wiley.

I have a couple of pipes that gurgle all the time when smoked. I always thought it was a saliva problem. I have two identical Savinelli 515's. One gurgles, one does not. I can't figure it out.

I've got a regular gurggler as well, but it is one of my smaller ones. I think it's just the pipe and yours just happen to be your larger ones. I don't really let it bother me, I just shove a pipe cleaner down the stem ever now and then to dry it up a bit.

Ponder this...(likely already voiced)...

1. If “gurgle” is created by condensed water...the source being moisture contained within the tobacco being burned...
2. and is more prevalent in pipes with certain specific physical characteristics along the pathway of the draw...let’s say for the sake of argument that a more open, less obstructed path precipitates less water therefore less gurgle...
3. And, if most stems are drilled about the same, regardless of the size of the pipe...the same diameter hole that draws about the same volume of air...
4. then the variable that differs between a large and small pipe is the amount of tobacco due to the dimensions of the bowl...
5. so with a greater amount of tobacco there would be a similarly greater amount of water released...to start gurgling merrily away.

Given the above I’m of the opinion that other things being equal a larger pipe can be said to gurgle “more” than a small one.  Of course, the thing that makes a pipe gurgle is still the structure of the bore through the strummel/shank/stem pathway.  

Certainly one of the burning issues of the age.