Are marketing dweebs running the show?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Double clutching is for driving exams, period. Floating gears is the only way to go, and yes mr marketing guy at Allison, I can do it a hell of a lot smoother than your automatic, loaded or not. [to understand it easily, when you accelerate to a certain rpm the the tranny WANTS to come out of gear, you simply apply a little pressure on the stick as the tack approaches 21,000 and out she pops. You hold the stick over the next gear in ascending order as you let off the accelerator and when the tack drops down to say 15,000 the stick drops into that next gear with the same slight pressure, easy as pie]

As to the "Why do it?", simple answer, clutches need adjusting, maintenance, they go out, some guys abuse em, and automatics are actually cheaper now on (and come standard with) fleet ordered trucks. It's all about the initial investment, and I truly believe that the de-valuing of the empolyee is a big issue, if he is less skilled (or his skills aren't necessary) then we don't have to pay him as much.

Autos get about 3 1/2 mpg in a mixer, the sticks got about 5 mpg. At $3.75 a gallon for deisel it don't take long to lose any money saved on investment.

Marketing guys just manipulate abstractions. And the fart-heads in the executive suite mistake these for reality.

Therein lieth the whole rub.

The disconnect between abstractions and reality is absolute.

You want an example ? (Besides automatic transmissions in big trucks) ?

Affirmative Action.

:affraid:

"The truth is you could train a monkey to do this job, just none of em are stupid enough to work this cheap."

LMAO! Classic PB!

JT :gatewheel:

Puff Daddy":ttsjd3aj said:
...Autos get about 3 1/2 mpg in a mixer, the sticks got about 5 mpg. At $3.75 a gallon for deisel it don't take long to lose any money saved on investment.
PD:

Well whaddya know about that... AlGore and his hordes of delirious circus clowns have their heads up their butts yet again. I have just read a white paper on Hitachi's torque-assist AMT (automated manual transmission), and guess how they start out...
The politically correct bozos at Hitachi":ttsjd3aj said:
OVERVIEW: Fuel efficiency standards on vehicles are becoming increasingly strict to curb global warming, and Japan and Europe plan to reduce current standard values by about 25% in the timeframe from 2008 to 2010."
...er, OK, but their own data show that their "next-generation" AMT isn't even as fuel-efficient as a conventional automatic transmission.

OK, that does it. I've been meaning to write a rant about this global warming nonsense for quite some time, and this is as good a time as any. You can read the uncut, unabridged, full metal rant at Viva la Matrix!.

Vito :joker:

Yak":ogz6y2y6 said:
Marketing guys just manipulate abstractions. And the fart-heads in the executive suite mistake these for reality.
Yakimoto:

I believe that phenomenom is called "the tail wagging the dog".

The disconnect between abstractions and reality is absolute.

You want an example ? (Besides automatic transmissions in big trucks) ?

Affirmative Action.
...and I believe that's the phenomenom wherein the dog pulls civilization down by the throat. :evil:

Vito :joker: