Are pipe smokers boring?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muddler

Reaction score
There's a thread on another pipe forum regarding what people are doing each Sunday. What struck me is just how passive the posters seem to be. The main activities seem to be things like checking out Ebay, cleaning pipes, watching football. I realise that pipe smokers tend to be more contemplative than most, but does contemplative translate to just plain boring?

I hear you Mudd, but usually Sunday is considered the day of rest (not according to my wife though) so people tend to be more laid back. Their are days I wish I was boring or bored for that matter....

Muddler":fsjgcrg7 said:
... what people are doing each Sunday...
Until recent years, most of our provinces in Canada had a "Lord's Day" act that mandated that limited business could be carried out on Sundays. When we moved to Alberta from Nova Scotia, the cultural shock hit that stores were actually open, not only on Sundays but many 24 hrs 7 days a week.

Now most provinces are wide open... lead by Walmart...

Sunday is for many, just another day...

In thinking about it, I think that the Lord's Day Act is/was a good thing... Heck, the oil companies have people working 10-12 hours a day, each day, 7 days a week, if the workers would do it and many do.

Bless those who can "rest" on Sundays and be boring...

My daughter certainly thinks I'm boring because I'd rather stay home on weekends and read a good book, smoke my pipe watch football,nascar, golf and cook out instead of eating out. I still love to play golf and fish mind you but it's hard for me to get away from the tube once football starts. It's something I love.
As you get older I think you look forward to the comforts you've found over the years
I told her when I was her age I was plenty active ....she interrupted and said Here we go with "when I was your age." Hmmm. Now where's that boring old whisky? :study:

pipetongue1":12k6ldgi said:
I just finished a cheesecake for one of my brethern Ken :tongue:
Is this a metaphor for something exciting?

I think passive, as you put it, is appropriate. I like cigars and pipes and I can't help but notice how different the groups are. Generally speaking, pipe smokers don't get too excited about anything.

I just happened to be thinking about this today because I logged onto the West Coast Pipe Show page today (it's less than a month away) and was amazed that you still can't find out exactly who has a table. Some names are mentioned, but you don't get the feeling that they're trying too hard to inspire you to come. It's as if you should be excited about going because there will be pipes and you can smoke there. Last year was great, blah, blah, blah. I want to know about this year.

Here's another example. In the cigar world, if a new line comes out, the forums, blogs, and youtubers are all trying to be the first to get their review posted. Pipe smokers hardly appear interested in new selections. Christmas Cheer came out about 2 months ago and there are two reviews on the TR site. It was the same with releases at the Chicago show. I guess you could argue that pipe smokers have passion for the new tobaccos, but unfortunately, they show it more by stashing away a bunch of tins instead of smoking one and reporting on the initial impressions. Maybe so, but there just doesn't seem to be a feeling of excitement even when the opportunity presents itself.

Anyway...I don't know that pipe smokers are boring, but I think it's remarkable how the relaxing nature of pipe smoking is also evident in the nature, frequency and tone of posts on the web.

Slow Puffs":1eweqqu3 said:
Muddler":1eweqqu3 said:
... what people are doing each Sunday...
Bless those who can "rest" on Sundays and be boring...
I agree 100%. The new resistance, the new living demonstration is peace, contemplation, slow foods, and a pipe; while the rest of the world rages onward in a race to the bottom.

ShellBriar":47rebvoj said:
I agree 100%. The new resistance, the new living demonstration is peace, contemplation, slow foods, and a pipe; while the rest of the world rages onward in a race to the bottom.
good call shellbriar. i think as you get older you look for reasons to have to sit down and do nothing for many minutes. (because time goes so damn fast!) a pipe is the perfect reason. for me, it stands for a way of life, as much as it is a pleasant hobby. i am happy to see many twenty year olds on this forum. the sooner you learn to enjoy simple things, the better IMHO.

I have definitely noticed the difference in attitude between pipe smokers and cigar smokers.

Personally, I've had issues with cigarettes (still tryin' to get off of em completely), and it always amazes me how much my attitude changes if I haven't smoked a pipe for a while, and then smoke one. I go from a somewhat nervous attitude to a very calm one in minutes.

Personally, id prefer to be a "boring" but tranquil person than a nervous, "interesting" person.