Are they ruined?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
puros_bran":yt1h8689 said:
I still say anti-freeze is good for a pipe. It will keep the pipe from overheating. I'd imagine if soaked in anti-freeze long enough one would probably even allow Mac Baren products to be smoked.
Anti-freeze is a better tobacco casing than pipe treatment. Let me send you a batch of freshly cased stuff. It smokes real cool, I promise.

Actually you are not to far from right. Propalene Glycol affectionatly known as PG goes into tons of tobacco blends and anti-freeze blends.

Still though I'll have to pass. :D

In all seriousness I hope this turns out good for you. The thought of it happening to my cheapys make me sick, I don't even like thinking about it happening to good pipes.

I don't really know where I've been, but I reckon it hasn't been here. :shock: Long time no see, everybody.

Anyhow, here is an update on my pipes. I got the pipes back from George a while ago. I told myself as soon as I smoked them I'd come back and update. Then I never smoked them. Yesterday must have been the first time in over a month that I smoked a pipe. No excuses.

I loaded up a bowl of dried out Blackwoods Flake. I chose this tobacco because when it is dried just right it is one of my favorites and figured I could sense any off-taste. I'm glad to report everything seems fine.

I've not loaded up the oom-paul yet, but I expect similar results there.

I'd like to extend a personal (if belated) thanks to George for his efforts in getting this pipe back in shape. Had it been left to my own devices I think it would have made its way to the back of the rack and gathered dust. After having a professional treat it, I feel confident that the pipe is safe and sound.

He also untwisted the stem on another pipe I sent him; turned out beautifully. Let me be yet another to recommend George's work at Precision Smoking Pipe Rejuvenation and Repair.

And thanks to everyone else for your interest in this topic. Sorry it took so long to end the story.

showme

Showme, if you think you can smoke them but find that the flavor is sullied, my best trick is to stuff the chamber with half a cotton ball, top off with Everclear, stuff the second half and top it off accordingly. Let sit 24 hrs.

Good luck!

That's great news to hear...your pipes got expertly repaired and you found your way back here!

Jim..I had amnesia once or twice too. :scratch:

Congrats on the pipes!!! Showme, its great to see you back here again. I missed you no matter what others think ;) ;) ;) ;)