Are We Done Yet?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ontariopiper

Reaction score
2017 cannot end soon enough for me! My 16-yr-old daughter had to take me to the ER on Friday morning for what turned out to be the third bout of pericarditis since the end of May. Sigh.

For those unfamiliar, pericarditis is an inflammation of the sac surrounding the heart and it is NOT comfortable in the least. Glad my girl was here to help but I'm not sure she enjoyed watching her father walk like her great-grandfather from car to hospital.

Thankfully, the meds work quickly and I'm back on my feet (relatively speaking). I can once again bend over and pick up the pen I dropped, and make it up the stairs in under a minute (but don't time me). The dirty laundry made it to the bottom of the stairs this morning, but someone else will have to bring the clean stuff up. Also don't have enough wind (yet) to holler across the house at someone. Baby steps :D

Unfortunately, with the benefits of medication come side effects. In my case, large doses of prednisone almost instantly turn me into a jittery, crotchety, insomniac, absentminded curmudgeon just as we head into the Holiday season. If anyone needs a somewhat damaged Ebenezer Scrooge for their Christmas play, look no further! Bah, Humbug! All in, I've been on the meds constantly since June 1st, with a grand total of 5 weeks "holiday" in between runs. This latest batch will keep me vibrating gently until February. Hooray.:affraid:

OK. Enough complaining! The good side of all this is that I know I can rely on my wife and kids to support me through whatever hits us next, just as I support them when they hit their own potholes on the road of life. I'm also learning to appreciate the small things that make life sweet - eating together around the table, watching my 77 year old mother perform in the local Little Theatre Christmas musical, and buying Cyber Monday Christmas gifts from the comfort of my chair. :santa:

And as soon as I'm feeling up to it, I have a new pipe waiting for its first bowl. Good to have goals!

Woof, that's a heavy load, brother. Glad you've got your family to help you out, and remember to cut yourself some slack when things get tough--not something that comes naturally to me, but absolutely necessary when health stuff gets bad. Having been riding the prednisone horse myself for most of this year I feel your pain!

Thanks fellas! Your words are appreciated greatly. Generally I take things as they come and am getting pretty good at changing plans at the drop of a time, but every now and again I just need to rant and get it out of the system. Thanks for listening.

Scary stuff indeed Charles, you know you're always welcome to rant away to your heart's content here. Good vibes heading your way mate. 

Cheers

Tim

Chest pain sounds horrible! Best wishes for your healing, and if you grump too much, wink at them so they think you are just having some sick fun.

Works for me. :lol!:

Feel better soon Charles! Take it slow and easy for now and you'll be fit as a fiddle soon enough.
Jim

Thanks Jim. If the docs can sort this out, I'm hoping to start getting back on shape in the New Year. Fingers crossed!

Don't push too hard too fast. My Dr took me off a blood pressure Med and my legs swelled up so bad the skin around my ankles split open like over stuffed sausages. Its not worth it to try and rush.

Jim

OP, truly regret your health issues. Pulling for you to fully recover and get back to your old self!! But do take it slow and easy in your recovery. And look forward to a great New Year!! :cheers: :cheers: FTRPLT

ftrplt":lu86yjbx said:
OP, truly regret your health issues. Pulling for you to fully recover and get back to your old self!! But do take it slow and easy in your recovery. And look forward to a great New Year!! :cheers: :cheers: FTRPLT
Well, it would certainly take a lot to "top" my 2017. But it's a Christmas Miracle that I'll get to see another New Year's Eve at all. I'll take breathing over the alternative! :D