Are we in a golden age of pipes?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
alfredo_buscatti":jw7lf502 said:
I'm no pipe expert, so I'll leave the posting to others.

What I can say is that this is one of the best threads I've read on BoB.

Great job, great comments! It's been a pleasure to read, and it's this quality that keeps me coming back.
Mike,

You mean to tell me you do't enjoy the political view points in the Rubber Room?

:lol!:

The Rubber Room hasn't had any input from the Westboro Baptist Church,the
Maoists or the American Nazi Party yet. :twisted:
Perhaps I could liven it up some? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Winslow

JP,

I only occasionally lurk in the Rubber Room.

As for politics, I think. . .but to continue would become a post for the RR.

Is it the golden age of pipes? I don't know. For those that take pipes and pipe smoking as a hobby, maybe it is. There are lots of artisans to choose from, and custom and unique pieces are now more than ever easier to get. The internet also made the hobby grow tremendously. It's now easier than ever to engage this hobby, and it's much more fun, too.

Since smoking a pipe is not a hobby for me (posting in this forum and the occasional lurk in ASP are the only pipe-related hobby activities that I engage in, and that only takes about 1 hour per week), things are a bit different. I started smoking pipes in the early 80s. Then, I could take the pipe everywhere: to class (college), to work, or just to have some fun. I would get odd looks now and then, a guy in his early 20's with a pipe clenched in his jaw, but that was it. Not anymore. The only place where I now can smoke my pipes is at home, after work. I can still devote myself to some of my hobbies while clenching a pipe, but that's about it. I would say that I spend one tenth of the time with a pipe in my mounth, compared to the days of yore.

It used to be that pipes and pipe tobacco were easily found. Any drugstore would have a pretty decent assortment. There simply was no need for online shopping. Yes, I was much more ignorant about what was out there than I am today. I had no idea what briar was, nor the difference between Virginia and Burley, and whatnot. But I didn't really care, either. I was a happy, carefree pipester with an ample supply of goodies and of time to enjoy them.

Now, shopping online can be fun, too. I do have a lot of delight going through all the great Web sites out there to prepare my next purchase. But it feels like buying out of the Sears Roebuck catalog because there are no general stores nearby: no matter how much fun it is, we are getting more isolated. Not to mention the constant doom of tobacco prohibition, etc.

Therefore, I must say that, for me, these are not the golden days of pipe smoking. Sorry for the pessimism...

WD raises a good point--that the lack of retail pipe establishments and an active public smoking culture detract from the idea of this being a "golden era."

I, too, started smoking pipes in college when I could smoke anywhere and did. We all took it for granted. Now, smoking is restricted to cigar/pipe stores and a handful of venues. That really hasn't detracted from my enjoyment of the hobby, though.

But, I am spoiled in that I live in a area (greater Columbus) that has always had a strong smoking, and especially pipe, culture. Consequently, there are more Opus accounts here than I can find in Chicago, for example. I've got two stores to frequent that are primarily pipe stores (Smokers' Haven and Pipes & Pleasures) and probably 10 other cigar stores that also feature pipes and tobaccos. We have the NASPC annual show here in August. There are simply many cigar and pipe smokers here and that adds to a sense of the viability of pipes (and cigars) as something other than a dying habit.

The idea I had in mind for this thread was somewhat different than the approach taken by WD. The "golden age" I was thinking of was the pipes themselves as opposed to the pipe smoking culture. But, WD has added some interesting comment as I think about this hobby of mine.

Columbus is a pipe Mecca. And man, do I miss it. The Haven, Pipes and Pleasures, Barclays and one more, whose name is escaping me at the moment. All great pipe centric stores.

I suppose the term "golden age" is rather nebulous. As far as acceptance of pipes in life, the 50's had to be the golden age. As far as craftmanship and comradere, well, I'd be hard pressed not to be swayed that today is the golden age. But who knows? Tomorrow may be even better!

Gotta' go with Nick on this one. For me, the 50's & 60's (even some into the 70's) were the heyday of public pipe smoking and acceptance. Today we have all these outstanding carvers and tobacconists; but I'm stuck outdoors to enjoy my pipes and cigars!! "It ain't fittin', it just ain't fittin'!" :evil: :pipe: FTRPLT

ftrplt":e9gqy3xk said:
Gotta' go with Nick on this one. For me, the 50's & 60's (even some into the 70's) were the heyday of public pipe smoking and acceptance. Today we have all these outstanding carvers and tobacconists; but I'm stuck outdoors to enjoy my pipes and cigars!! "It ain't fittin', it just ain't fittin'!" :evil: :pipe: FTRPLT
Agreed! What's even worse is that now a lot of the few places that allow smoking, only allow cigarettes and not pipes.....go figure! :evil:

It was always pretty much like that. People complained about cigars and pipes but not about cigarettes.

:face: