Are you a morning or an evening smoker?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wish I could be up early enough (or actually had time in the morning) to have a pipe before work. My seven year old is up way before me each morning (he was up at 5 today) and if his mom or I are awake, there is no such thing as quiet time.

I usually only get to smoke late at night when everyone is asleep, otherwise I am self conscious of the smoke even though the boy has only commented on the smoke one time and it was from a heavy VA. I try not to smoke around him much anyway unless we are out for a walk or I can open a door or window in the house.

How do others deal with pipe smoking and having younger children around? I'd rather educate mine on pipe smoking rather than have him think that it is a dirty habit and try to hide it from him.

Benjamin Button":217cbpg3 said:
I wish I could be up early enough (or actually had time in the morning) to have a pipe before work. My seven year old is up way before me each morning (he was up at 5 today) and if his mom or I are awake, there is no such thing as quiet time.

I usually only get to smoke late at night when everyone is asleep, otherwise I am self conscious of the smoke even though the boy has only commented on the smoke one time and it was from a heavy VA. I try not to smoke around him much anyway unless we are out for a walk or I can open a door or window in the house.

How do others deal with pipe smoking and having younger children around? I'd rather educate mine on pipe smoking rather than have him think that it is a dirty habit and try to hide it from him.
Same situation with me, I've got a 5 & a 7 yr old as well as a wife who used to chain smoke cigs. (but now any tobacco smoke really bothers her, she quit 12+ yrs ago). I can't smoke in the house at all, so use my workshop (not heated-yet) or go outside when at home. Can't smoke in the morning cause I'm hauling the kids to school, wife picks up the kids, so it's a pipefull for the commute home.

My kids are both grown but when they were younger I did smoke around them except when they were pre-toddlers. I don't create a large volume of smoke. I'm basically a smolder smoker. My wife is very allergic to cigarette smoke but the pipe does not bother her at all except for heavy latakia. I smoke only VA's now and have for fifteen plus years. I get to smoke in the house. :cheers: I seldom smoke in the car when my wife is present but on occasion I will with the window open being mindful not to blow smoke her way. My daughter is a non-smoker but loves the smell of MC #1 in the tin. When I would open a tin she used to take a big whiff and say Ah!! She is not as fond of the tin aroma of the Rattray's VA's I smoke now and didn't hesitate to tell me latakia stunk when I did smoke it. As far as the VA's, she doth not protest either. I'm a lucky man and my pipe runneth over :king:

EJinVA":sy88pizy said:
Same situation with me, I've got a 5 & a 7 yr old as well as a wife who used to chain smoke cigs. (but now any tobacco smoke really bothers her, she quit 12+ yrs ago). I can't smoke in the house at all, so use my workshop (not heated-yet) or go outside when at home. Can't smoke in the morning cause I'm hauling the kids to school, wife picks up the kids, so it's a pipefull for the commute home.
Pipe smoking is something of a solitary hobby for me, unless I am around other pipe smokers. I try to find those moments when I can just kick back and relax, but as I am sure you know having kids, those moments are few and far between. Once we buy a house, the only way I sign is if I can have my own "man's room". :D

I would say when i have a day-off i'm usually an afternoon smoker. I grab a rich(in price and taste) coffee and head down to our trendy hangout strip and sit on a park bench and watch the shoppers and families and pets that constantly walk by.

If i couldn't enjoy people watching i'd have to move back home to the sticks. :roll:

I bought a bag of some type of tobacconist honey blend recently and after it sat in the car overnight the fragrance permeated the interior of the car. In the morning when the kids got in they said "wow dad your tobacco smells good!". I just smiled and said "it does doesent it".

:pipe: on Brothers.

EJinVA":23unoze2 said:
I bought a bag of some type of tobacconist honey blend recently and after it sat in the car overnight the fragrance permeated the interior of the car. In the morning when the kids got in they said "wow dad your tobacco smells good!". I just smiled and said "it does doesent it".

Haha, I've let my son smell a couple of my blends. He loved the Boswell blends and even the Butternut Burley. Then I let him smell some of my McClelland 2015 Va/Per, and he hated it. I said to him, "But I thought you loved ketchup?"

He didn't get it.

:lol:

Benjamin Button":uhqqdlt1 said:
EJinVA":uhqqdlt1 said:

Then I let him smell some of my McClelland 2015 Va/Per, and he hated it. I said to him, "But I thought you loved ketchup?"

He didn't get it.

I don't blame him Benjamin! That is one thing that I have never been able to get used to with the McClelland blends. Ketchup and Malt Vinegar. Everyone of their blends smell of it to me.

By the way, my son's name is Benjamin. Benjamin Joseph. Benjamine Yoseph is the correct Jewish pronunciation.

Another all day smoker here. I usually start with a burley blend in the morning and often in the evening, too, since I am primarily a burley smoker. English blends are usually smoked in the evening.

Smokey

Justpipes":iwkdswcb said:
Benjamin Button":iwkdswcb said:
EJinVA":iwkdswcb said:

Then I let him smell some of my McClelland 2015 Va/Per, and he hated it. I said to him, "But I thought you loved ketchup?"

He didn't get it.

I don't blame him Benjamin! That is one thing that I have never been able to get used to with the McClelland blends. Ketchup and Malt Vinegar. Everyone of their blends smell of it to me.

By the way, my son's name is Benjamin. Benjamin Josheph. Benjamine Yosheph is the correct Jewish pronunciation.
Haha that's great. I agree with the smell but I loooove the flavor from 2015 & 5100...they are amazing! I haven't cracked my Christmas Cheer 08 yet so I am not sure if it shares the same characteristic McClelland ketchup aroma. I'm thinking Thanksgiving may be the time to open it and start enjoying it for the holiday season.

Oh and my name is not actually Benjamin, it's Adam...Benjamin Button is a reference to a character from my favorite F. Scott Fitzgerald short story. But it's definitely on my list of favorite names especially because of the story! :D

During the week, I'm at my office so smoking is not an option. Evenings only during the week.

My preference, though, is for a morning smoke, which I do on weekends. A pipe with a cup of black coffee is sublime. I think my sense of taste is sharper in the morning.