Are you Tricking or Treating tonight?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monbla256

Reaction score
The rains stopped up here in N.Texas and it's supposed to be clear but cool tonight so my 90 yo mother and I will be giving out treats to the young uns that come by . :twisted:  My mother likes to sit just inside her front door and when the kids come up I open the door and she goes "BOO" and hands out her candy to them. I sit outside to help guide them to the door and sort of direct traffic on the porch for her. She loves to do this every year and I'm glad she still can at her age. She especially likes the real young/little ones and always pays special attention to them. What are you folks doin' tonight ? :twisted: :twisted:

Hiding in a closet. I've always been frightened of small children, and their wearing scary masks and all would put me right over the edge.

Yes, we've had some fun today and this evening Michael. The children carved a few pumpkins each today. Rosie managed to drop one and it split in half so I rolled with it, chopped in it half and made it look like a head was emerging from the lawn. I hid our Bluetooth Sony speaker in the hedge too and streamed spooky sounds from my phone.

We've only just got back in actually from our trick or treating. Rosie made the mistake of asking me to carry her sweet bucket; I was eating them quicker than they were going in.

Fantastic to hear your mum, elderly as she is, still enjoying some fun with the kids. :cheers:

What's next? Ah yes, Christmas...

Well, seeing as how I am now in the deep, deep forest, should I see any children, I will most likely gobble them up, as per the Grimm's tale obliges me too.....

Treated the animals to some sweet feed and two fresh rolled bales of grasses. They are happy...

Otherwise, a nice drizzly autumn day to wander the woods and enjoy the coloured leaves.......

As I used to say in Edmonton, Halloween Apples!!

Neither, we live too far off the beaten track for anyone to come by..................Thank God! ;)

Haven't had the little bast....., I mean chillin come knocking on my door for many, many years. In fact I think it was maybe once in all the years I've lived here.

They tend to go to homes they know I think, and those with decorations outside. And I don't observe Halloween so no decorations. 

Mean ol' bassard, ain't I?

:twisted: 

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":uko205jm said:
Haven't had the little bast....., I mean chillin come knocking on my door for many, many years. In fact I think it was maybe once in all the years I've lived here.

They tend to go to homes they know I think, and those with decorations outside. And I don't observe Halloween so no decorations. 

Mean ol' bassard, ain't I?

:twisted: 

Cheers,

RR
A Man after my own heart sir!

Trick or treating seems to be dying out in our neck of the woods. We have only had one group of five kids tonight, the lowest turnout ever. I took my little one out earlier, and found fewer than ten houses that were participating. It makes me a bit sad to see a time-honored custom fading into obscurity.

I think it has to do with the amount of wacko's out there that put poison and or razor blades, etc. in treats, although that was going on when I was a young man also. But, I believe there's a rise in it, that and in some parts of the country young little bastards steal little ones candy and terrorize the streets not having the mentality or a good parents hand across there backside ever so often.

Halloween is not widely observed in Korea, so no. But being that I am at a Canadian school located in Korea we will be celebrating it in my school with a haunted gymnasium and costume contest. Foreign teachers have brought Halloween to Korea over the years to the point where costumes and pumpkins are now available at major supermarkets. But I would say that Koreans don't really "get it". To them its just a day for kids to dress like superheroes or Disney princesses and get candy hand-outs. The whole scary aspect of it isn't really understood. Funny...its only observed inside schools.

fsu92john":nu7nk597 said:
Trick or treating seems to be dying out in our neck of the woods. We have only had one group of five kids tonight, the lowest turnout ever. I took my little one out earlier, and found fewer than ten houses that were participating. It makes me a bit sad to see a time-honored custom fading into obscurity.
It's not that old of a common custom; it seems to have started in a few places in the northeast in the 1920s and really didn't spread around the US until publicized by radio sit-coms using it as a plot device after World War II, only then spreading outside the US

Why I do not know but none of the children in the village go out trick or treating, I miss giving out treats to the kiddies when they turn up, used to really enjoy it in the village I lived in before moving to this scary bizarre village.

DrT999":wp84fvw0 said:
fsu92john":wp84fvw0 said:
It's not that old of a common custom; it seems to have started in a few places in the northeast in the 1920s and really didn't spread around the US until publicized by radio sit-coms using it as a plot device after World War II, only then spreading outside the US
This is true if we're talking about the specifically American practice of children knocking on doors in search of candy. However, souling and guising were associated with All Saints' and All Souls' from probably the early modern period in Europe and are, at least in spirit (so to speak), kindred practices with trick or treating.

? ? ?

fsu92john":hc16n1y5 said:
DrT999":hc16n1y5 said:
fsu92john":hc16n1y5 said:
This is true if we're talking about the specifically American practice of children knocking on doors in search of candy. However, souling and guising were associated with All Saints' and All Souls' from probably the early modern period in Europe and are, at least in spirit (so to speak), kindred practices with trick or treating.

? ? ?
True, but we were talking about actual trick-or-treating. I doubt if dressing up, horror movies, etc. will be disassociated with Oct 31 for some time to come! :D

We had a pretty lively night. Approach the gorilla with the conga drum if you dare.

Sadly we only had two groups of kiddos last night!! :cry: :cry: My mother was very disappointed!! It was cold and damp and the wind was out of the north!! And we were the only house that was lit up on the block but there weren't any groups in cars driving down the street as usual!! VERY disappointing !! :twisted:

It came here also. You Americans ruin everything. First you spoiled our Nativity turning it into a tasteless bizarre consumer culture pathetic holiday celebrating shallow values, with jingle bells and ugly plastic decorations that sing moronic tunes and shine, and now this.
Some years ago, it was just a funny thing from the movies, now all the kids observe the ancient old tradition of over .... ten years of trick or treating. And it sounds even more stupid translated in Bulgarian language.
I went with my daughter last night to see a movie in the mall, we didn't even know it's halloween. and the mall was full of disgusting, hyperactive children with costumes, doing something they had seen in the american movies.

My daughter (11 year old) started explaining to the people that it's a pagan thing and we as Christians shouldn't do such things, and everybody looked at her as if she was a freak.
I even heard two young ladies talking about the ... poor brainwashed kid.
And that was coming from intelligent persons wearing witch costumes with sculls and bones, and sharped hats inside the mall, and making strange (supposed to be scary) gestures.
What an irony.

balkan_boy":54hhmu8h said:
It came here also. You Americans ruin everything. First you spoiled our Nativity turning it into a tasteless bizarre consumer culture pathetic holiday celebrating shallow values, with jingle bells and ugly plastic decorations that sing moronic tunes and shine,  and now this.
Some years ago, it was just a funny thing from the movies, now all the kids observe the ancient old tradition of over .... ten years of trick or treating. And it sounds even more stupid translated in Bulgarian language.
I went with my daughter last night to see a movie in the mall, we didn't even know it's halloween. and the mall was full of disgusting, hyperactive children with costumes, doing something they had seen in the american movies.

My daughter (11 year old) started explaining to the people that it's a pagan thing and we as Christians shouldn't do such things, and everybody looked at her as if she was a freak.
I even heard two young ladies talking about the  ... poor brainwashed kid.
And that was coming from intelligent persons wearing witch costumes with sculls and bones, and sharped hats inside the mall, and making strange (supposed to be scary) gestures.
What an irony.  
"Fraid your gonna have to lay the blame for all this with the British as it started in the 16 th century over there

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trick-or-treating