Arky?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stick

Reaction score
Hey folks.

Anyone had news of our resident back woodsman? Not seen him for a while...

He dragged up on The Briar Patch a couple of months ago for a short time and promptly disappeared. :shock:

He was last here on his birthday, Oct 4th, but, I can't find any posts. I thought there was a post about him getting rid of his phone and internet for a while until he could afford it. Maybe he just wants to be left alone. Maybe he's busy working on his lumber mill. :?:

It’s really not very unusual for guys to find us and be enamored, spending quite a bit of time here, only to have the passion fade over time til some other fancy takes them away for longer and longer spells til they’re eventually gone.

BoB Life Cycle.

Last I heard he was wanting me to go out to his new property and help him frame his cabin last month. He didn't get the portable mill and was thinking about just buying lumber. He got a different phone too. Without a place set up out there he's staying put where he's been at.

That's pretty much all to report.

Yup, hope things are going ok for him. Struck me as a chap with a few significant challenges he needed to surmount. Would be good to see him back, side ways pics and all.

Blackhorse":7ezmgcq9 said:
It’s really not very unusual for guys to find us and be enamored, spending quite a bit of time here, only to have the passion fade over time til some other fancy takes them away for longer and longer spells til they’re eventually gone.

BoB Life Cycle.

At this point in my life, I don't think I can find another "fancy" that I already haven't done.  I guess this one (BoB) is it! :sunny:

I wish Arky all the good luck with whatever he is into and doing now.

I'm here I'm alive I'm kicking I'm back on the grid for the time being about to go back off but I thought I'd pop in see what was going on how's everybody doing by the way I did get the Sawmill I ended up getting a sawmill Sawed most of the lumber for the frame of my cabin came decided to come back to civilization for a bit had to pick up my tiller so that I could get ready to plant oh and I got probably close to five acres that I'm starting on and it took me quite a while to get my tobacco seeds Freddy I got several hundred of those I got to put in Virginia Burley and new variety that I've not tried that some Hall I believe silver dollar or gold dollar rather so I got three varieties of tobacco that have to go in then I got 60 fruit trees and blueberry blackberry raspberry all sorts of different bushes I got to get put in I got two chickens coming I got turkeys coming asparagus coming strawberry is coming so I'm sorry I haven't been on here and I've been thinking about you all but I've just been super duper duper duper busy trying to get everything going and it's been quite an adventure building a cabin in the winter time in the Ozark Mountains it's cold and wet and Misty so it's just been just been crazy and l'll probably post some pictures even though I know that my picture record is less than perfect with getting them straight and getting them to you know go on to the form correctly but I'm just getting ready for spring getting ready to plant some potatoes but as soon as everything slows down I do plan on being back you know on every now and then I haven't lost interest and I haven't lost the want should be on here I just have been busy biggest job was getting the solar installed and getting the house for the cabin wired awesome photos

Sounds like everything's coming together for you! Great to see you carving your life out of the wilderness!!

Well, a certain appreciation of life's comforts come from a fair amount of effort. You'll see it come together soon! Stay the course.

You know when I hear people say I'd love to live off-grid I think to myself how comfortable are you how prepared are you to give up those comforts and does the cold bother you I slept in a van for a very long time while building this cabin and the Comfort was little to none

Travis, man it's been a coons age. Glad to see ya. Great pics! Looks like a bit of heaven once you get caught up. Unfortunately I know it seems like you'll never get caught up but trust me you'll get there. I can't even imagine how you find the time to sleep with all you have going on. Sounds like you have the right idea tough. Soft fruits are gold! You'll find lots of folk will barter for those. Only 2 chickens? You'll Definitely want more soon. The turkeys.......wow you're a better man than me. I won't raise turkeys again for any price. Geese either for that matter. I still keep my toes in the poultry though I have a pet chicken in my living room. She sleeps in a dog kennel and comes out to keep the cats in line lol. I gotta admit as much as I love that lifestyle I'm just too damned old and broken to do it again. Hey have you considered getting a few goats? They are great for clearing areas of things like poison ivy. The milk is amazing if you milk them outside. It picks up some real nasty flavors and aromas when you milk them inside. You'll find that folks will want the milk too. If you do go that way I can dig up my cheese making recipes and send them along. Hope to see you around for a bit but know how busy you are. Keep plugging away at it and know that you have the respect of quite a few folks.

Jim