Aromatic flavors

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingcobradude

Reaction score
What sort of flavors are used?

I was thinking rosewater/orange blossom water and/or baking/candy flavoring in flavors I like

Oh my, all kinds of flavours can be used. Avoid artificial ones though. Extracts and spirits are preferred.

Classic American aromatic flavors include vanilla, cocoa, raisin/molasses, rum, whiskey, cherry, maple, nutty, and many, many others.

The British (Lakeland) style scents, which are applied in a different way than the American stuff is very often some kind of floral scents...there’s geranium, rose geranium, and others which are often quite hard to name as they are a little of this n that, etc. The Brit stuff which you likely like or hate comes in hardly at all, moderate & potent levels.

Ozark Wizard":zelrcou8 said:
When burned they don't taste nice, they smell worse.
Which isn't making much sense to me. Using vanilla as an example, where the primary flavor chemical is vanillin, the vanillin is the Same whether from a vanilla bean or a lab. The only difference chemistry wise is the natural stuff has some other flavor compounds that the artificial stuff doesn't.

Geoff, your ideas of casing are pretty much exactly what I had in mind.

kingcobradude":6ic4q97v said:
Ozark Wizard":6ic4q97v said:
When burned they don't taste nice, they smell worse.
Which isn't making much sense to me. Using vanilla as an example, where the primary flavor chemical is vanillin, the vanillin is the Same whether from a vanilla bean or a lab. The only difference chemistry wise is the natural stuff has some other flavor compounds that the artificial stuff doesn't.
Some report a range of unsavoury tastes including a distinct metallic flavour. I believe some cherry aros are bad for this.